The eu wants to kill the internet!!!

No, this isn’t scaremongering.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20…internet.shtml

Basically the EU wants to kill all independent media so that only itself and large corporations have any power. This poses a massive threat not just to free speech but also to the game community. If this happens it would basically kill game modding for example by making it illegal to make game mods unless you get written permission for each and every single mod.

What is your reaction to this? I for one can’t believe the EU is sinking this low. I would the public outrage to this will destroy the EU.

EDIT: This law isn’t just about protecting copyright It basically makes it impossible to share anything, including indie games. If this became real then your own customers would not be able to download your games unless you first give them permission to do so, and then to make matters worse people would also have to pay “link taxes”. Not only that, but your own customers would also have to ask you for written permission in order to post links to your game. Let’s say for example that somebody sees your game and thinks it’s cool and wants to spread word of mouth by linking to your website. Guess what? They can’t do that. First, they would have to contact you and get your written permission. And then they would have to pay money to post the link in the form of a link tax. What the EU is doing is that they are trying to destroy all small companies and alternative media so that the legacy media and the big companies can reclaim their old control.

See why this is a big deal?

Nobody have power enough to “kill” internet anymore.

If the WWW is blocked then people will build their own intranets just like internauts do in Cuba and China.

They even have their own servers of WoW running over LANs going across entirety of a city.

Thousands of independent intranets are way more harmful and dangerous to governments than the open world web.

Going to have to agree with Bruno on this.

Have any of you even read anything about what this will do before declaring this won’t matter?

https://saveyourinternet.eu/about-this-campaign/

"Article 13 is a provision in the proposed EU Copyright Directive mandating that all content uploaded to the internet be monitored and potentially deleted if a likeness to existing copyrighted content is detected. This provision will be voted on by the end of 2018.
Find out more from C4C, Copybuzzand Save the Link.

Whether a creator or a consumer, everyone who uses the internet will be affected by this law — which is why we all need to speak out against it.

If you are a creator or independent business, the content that you upload to share with your audience might be deleted without your consent. Creators include but are not limited to artists –such as cartoonists, gamers, illustrators, photographers, documentary filmmakers, animators, musicians, DJs, and dancers,– bloggers, journalists, and technologists.

Online platforms will be required to implement complex and expensive filtering systems and will be held liable for copyright infringement, potentially incurring fines that threaten their economic viability.

Article 13 would restrict the ability of Internet users to consume content – meaning they won’t be able to find and enjoy diverse kinds of cultural expressions that they have grown accustomed to. The days of communicating through gifs and memes, listening to our favourite remixes online or sharing videos of our friends singing at karaoke might be coming to an end."

Sorry, but I am a huge fan of Pc Games, Comics and a few Manga as well as Super-Hero Movies and a bit of Anime…

The thing is this: online piracy is pretty much destroying sustainability of a few of the things I’ve mentioned above. I love those things and I don’t want to see them die someday in the near of far future.

I’m all in support for Copyright protection even if that means I must give up my memes addiction.
I’d love to see my favourite Comics creators become millionaires and have freedom to create more stories, but the fact is they mostly are disappearing because majority of their “fans” simply pirate EVERYTHING!

Freedom is important yes, but majority of people can’t see the difference between freedom and crime.

Just going to post this here in case anyone is thinking about it;

Please do not start a political war on these forums. This topic is in a gray area of our politics rule, it’s politics but at the same time it’s hard to argue a post about internet regulation doesn’t belong here.

We will allow this discussion to continue, but any posts deriding one political view (such as “it’s all <InsertName>'s fault!”) will be removed.

From the Code of Conduct

Thank you

Understood. I would argue that this is a apolitical in that it affects all of us regardless of our individual political leanings.

You don’t understand. This law doesn’t just enforce copyright. It basically makes it impossible to share anything, including indie games. If this became real then your own customers would not be able to download your games unless you first give them permission to do so, and then to make matters worse people would also have to pay “link taxes”. Not only that, but your own customers would also have to ask you for written permission in order to post links to your game. Let’s say for example that somebody sees your game and thinks it’s cool and wants to spread word of mouth by linking to your website. Guess what? They can’t do that. First, they would have to contact you and get your written permission. And then they would have to pay money to post the link in the form of a link tax. What the EU is doing is that they are trying to destroy all small companies and alternative media so that the legacy media and the big companies can reclaim their old control.

See why this is a big deal?

EDIT: I am going to copy this into the OP.

Yes, but look…

If they do that then it’s a digital war just ahead.
“Alternative” ISPs will grow and simply show’em the middle finger. They want to have such power to control everything?! Yes, that doesn’t mean they ever will tho.

You know that this open internet we use is just a fraction of what’s out there, right?!
This is why I’m not too worried about it, if they marginalize the entire open internet then it’s their own loss in the end.

Is it though? Games and movies as an example are earning considerably more than ever.

Apparently, still not earning enough tho:

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/3185…ame_exodus.php

Once AI gets advanced enough and BI becomes a thing we will all be able to spend all our time making games anyway:eek: :cool::wink:

You are deluding yourself, if you believe an advanced AI, sentient or not, will just do our bidding.

Why not? I don’t buy into the skynet doomsday predictions.

AI can’t do anyone’s bidding…it can’t produce it’s own motives or purpose, let a lone perpetuate another being’s motives.

Nothing of these will ever happen.

The vote on this is on the 20th I believe. I will come back here to tell you I told you so once this passes.

Honestly I’m more worried about Trump’s tariffs, that will cause a LOT of problems to everyone outside US like a snowball.

This is one of the worst problems in the industry:

“With fewer roles to go around, D’Angelo saw increasing evidence of nepotism.”

Seen it so many times, to the point where people get employed as producers and they’ve never even worked in the games industry before…just because their big brother is in charge of hiring…or the only people who survive the 6 monthly cull are besties with the boss but havn’t actually done any work for months…or you make a Football game but hardly any of the people working on the game even like Football…and then you wonder why your football game is rubbish…Eidos I’m looking at you…

not that I’m bitter or anything… :slight_smile:

Piracy will never be eradicated. Stupid people throw millions at a problem that will always outlast them. We’ll sooner find the cure for mortality than solve piracy. But even if there was a solution (and even if one was needed), mass censorship and surveillance is… to put it in such words as to not get me infracted… less than a stellar solution.

I live in a third world ■■■■■■■■ and if it weren’t for piracy I wouldn’t have ever watched or played anything until a decade ago. Pirates are not lost sales as the majority would never have bought the game in the first place. In addition to this, there are several studies that have shown that the people who engage in piracy the most nowadays are the people who spend the most money on games anyway (Talking specifically about video games where this is the most prevalent).

Overall, the whole “war on piracy” is deluded, futile, unnecessary and can be at best compared to a gigantic money laundering scheme for scum like Denuvo Inc.

That’s exactly what a pirate would say!