The eu wants to kill the internet!!!

Well will you just look at that: 'Disastrous' copyright bill vote approved - BBC News

This will kill indie game development. Without forums or the ability to share links indie game devs will have no realistic chance since the ability of games to spread via word of mouth will be completely destroyed.

That does sound rather draconian @anonymous_user_a7158f7a, can’t believe they actually voted in such nonsense. At least it still hast to pass in parliament.

Times like these make me thankful I’m Canadian, sort of… We tend to sit back and watch while the EU and the US try to outdo themselves. That is of course until our government gets pressured from both sides, then they tend to cave immediately and praise this bs policy as “one we’ve been looking at adopting for some time now”.

To be clear this has nothing to do with our current or past prime minister, it’s just our MO these days.

yeah its pretty bad i hope my country will vote to exit the eu just like england

lol memepocalypse

man… internet is already dead… too controlled… was better two years ago… dunno what’s going on in internet policies but they’re obviously locking the whole thing down, big time… can only imagine how **** it’s gonna be in another 5 years… and you’ll be paying through the nose for everything… no more freebies… The New Internet… exclusively for the rich uppercrust of society…

hey man, i called it… everything’s gonna be hidden behind pay walls… and you’ll be nickeld and dimed for everything… listening to a song on youtube will cost 99 cents and opening a link in google will cost fifty cents… and don’t even get me started on ■■■■… 10 euros for two seconds of suckiness… yeah like that… you think computer games microtransactions are bad… internet will turn into microtransaction hell…

A wise man once said “Everything that comes before BUT doesn’t count”

Once things hit rock bottom, there’s only one way to go…

Under the rocks and into hell?

Law has been passed: The EU has passed Article 13, but Europe's meme war is far from over | WIRED UK

RIP the internet.

What am i missing…i read the article and it didnt sound so bad. Facebook, google etc has to actually pay someone…good.

no more memes…good…silly things (cynical stuck in my ways old fool)

but im guessing i’ve missed the bigger picture here so please enlighten me :slight_smile:

although as i live in england i guess these rules wont apply to me soon anyway?

My understanding of it is, if you had any sort of business that extends to jurisdictions that are under the EU, then your business (or online community affairs) might be affected. That’s why google was legally liable to pay that huge fine from the EU for the Android privacy. It doesn’t really directly apply to myself either, I’m in America.

If I was a small business being affected by link taxes, I might consider different ways of sharing content. Like instead of using a link to share content you could possibly embed a web page within your own website/web platform. That’s not really a link. However you are still referencing someone else’s content, so idk how that would line up with there description of the law.

This will basically make it illegal to share or upload anything in Europe.

That’s putting it mildly. This forum here for example would be banned in Europe unless you agree to install an automatic content filter (similar to youtube content ID system but even more draconian) that scans everything posted on these forums including images, videos and even text and then automatically delete them instantly or else face massive fines. This isn’t realistic so odds are you will just have to remove the forum entirely for Europeans.

So things like dropbox/onedrive etc would now be illegal…that doesnt sound plausible?

This sounds more like making big companies pay money. Maybe if they didnt do all their dodgy irish tax dodges they wouldnt have been targetted so much :slight_smile:

i dont know…maybe im not interpretting this right. If it was such a big deal and now non dodgy sites like the ue4 forums would be illegal id imagine more of a general uproar and media coverage. Plenty of coverage about GDPR you couldnt not know about that

i work in web hosting and i’ve heard nothing about this…but then again…i am ■■■■ at my job so thats not surprising :slight_smile:

Not illegal, but it might force the companies to check all the content (which they do nowadays). Now, you may ask, what if the contents are strongly encrypted? Well, the company may very well forbid the upload of that type of content, just like gmail.

Well nowadays it seems that you can fish for loopholes in laws and simply change your format or technology so it doesn’t fit the laws description. Like Loot boxes, look at how Valve and other companies simply changed the way there “loot boxes” worked so they weren’t considered gambling according to a “law”. However we all know in principal its the same exact thing.

You can change the function and design of technology faster than governments can amend laws. So I think if this is as poisonous to the internet as @anonymous_user_a7158f7a says, it may push designers and technologist to evolve the world wide web.

testtttttttt

Not illegal per say, but they would have to create a massively expensive upload filter that they would never be able to afford, so it would be easier to just block Europe from the service. Same applies to this forum as well, which will probably have to be blocked to all europeans sometime next year once these laws start coming into effect. In fact, ALL internet forums on the internet will probably get blocked in Europe since there would be no practical way of monitoring them without a super expensive upload/content monitoring filter that nobody except the super rich companies will be able to afford. These laws will literally destroy the free internet for europe, and make almost all content sharing impossible. This could actually cripple the indie dev game industry for europeans.

The media isn’t reporting on this because they will benefit from this law and don’t want a public uproar against it. The mainstream media doesn’t like alternative web media and thus they have nothing to gain from pointing out these laws and what they will do.

As far as I understand it, content filters must scan not only for things like images or video, but even text and code. That means the forums must be scanned directly in case somebody does something such as quoting a copyrighted piece of text. In addition, the link tax means that anybody posting a link to someone else will force this site to pay a tax which would cost epic lots of money unless they are willing to ban all linking to other sites or simply block EU users so that they won’t have to deal with it. For example, let’s say somebody here posts a link to the website of some random artist, then epic will have to pay a tax because of that. Someone feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Absolutely right point.