The Custom Depth visualization does not work for a distant object

I am trying to use custom depth values coming from various actors. One issue that I have been trying to address for the last few days really slows me down. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Basically, when I use Post Processing Volume applied with the CustomDepth material in the UE5 editing mode, everything works as expected; however, when I use Post Processing Volume with the CustomDepth material for the simulation mode, the custom depth display for a distant object disappears. Here are the screenshots that illustrate what I am trying to explain. All the screenshots are taken from the Small City level of the City Sample project.

1. This is a screenshot with a normal view. There are two buildings marked with red and blue colors. I enabled “Render CustomDepth Pass” for both actors.

2. The next screenshot shows the scene after I applied the CustomDepth post-processing material through Post Processing Volume as highlighted in the screenshot. You can also see both buildings marked with red and blue colors from this screen.

3. This is what I am struggling with. When I hit the simulation mode with Post Processing Volume applied with the CustomDepth post-processing material, the blue-marked building disappears from the CustomDepth view.

Given that the blue-marked building is quite far from the camera (~500m), I am suspecting this might be related to the distance to the camera; however, I am not so sure about it.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to display the Custom Depth value for the far-distant object. I am also curious about what makes this difference between the view port and the simulation mode.

This might be not so relevant, but I turned off nanite for those two buildings because Custom Depth doesn’t work for the nanite-enabled static meshes. Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I figured out why. This was related to World Partition. When any actor is far from the streaming source, it turns into an HLOD actor that doesn’t seem to bring all the information related to the custom depth pass. By increasing the loading range of World Partition, this issue is resolved; however, the overall performance can be negatively affected while I don’t have evident measurements.