The color picker won't open in UE4.27

If I click any parameter that should open the color picker, it just opens the drop down to select the individual RGB values, but not the actual color picker. Sometimes when I click it in random spots it will open, but for a fraction of a second and close again.

It works as expected in UE5 however. I did a fresh install, computer restart, and new projects and the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you experience other issues in UE4 - flickering / disappearing menus? nVidia card?

Same GPU and engine version here. Haven’t noticed a behaviour like this. Sorry.

Not that I have noticed yet, so far just the color picker. I’m using a GTX1080.

In the output log it says:

Window “Color Picker” being destroyed, every time I try to click on it. So clearly something is happening.

I came across this and glad I’m not the only one. Yes I too can confirm the colour picker isn’t working and yes I too am getting the same error in the output log: LogSlate:Window ‘Color Picker’ being destroyed. You can’t even get it working in materials when setting up a parameter, have to type in the figures manually instead, which is a pain as needing to go into a 3rd party piece of software just to pick a colour and then get the figures from it.

I had a similar problem and was able to fix it but it might not apply to everyone. I created a new level that had an Exponential Height Fog and had checked the Volumetric Fog check box. The color picker wouldn’t open just as described in the earlier posts. When I unchecked the Volumetric Fog box I was able to use the color picker again even after I re-checked the box. I don’t know why that was a conflict or why unchecking the box worked but it did in my case.

Hey OceanTS…just did this test you mentioned and low and behold…yeah I now have the colour picker back. I didn’t have any levels with any fog as I have removed it for this level I’m in the middle of doing, and no other levels in the game I’m making had any fog at all. So I made a dummy level, added in the fog from the actors, checked and it wasn’t ticked, the Volumetric Fog, but I then created a dummy material…voila! So I checked the other master material I have made, added a colour tint and I now have the colour wheel.

Thanks heaps for this quirky fix but yep…worked for me!

Regards
Shez

Great, glad it helped! It’s a strange one.

Hello
I had the same issue and tried OceanTS solution, but it didnt work. So i was playing around and finally found that by closing the environment light mixer (i usually have that one open as window next to my content) it works just well.
Seems like a bug

2 Likes

This is the suggestion that worked for me. Thanks Turnim!

Not sure this will work for you too as it looks like you have done a fresh install already.
I had the same issue and accidently fixed it.

Close the Env.Lightmixer tab/window…

It crashes my colour picker every time its on my custom layout.

1 Like