The Butcher of Blackwood | Creep it Real

The Butcher of Blackwood

(Recommended that you watch with headphones and in a dark setting. Happy Halloween!)

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:

Smart Ancient Trees

Rigged Male Body Parts Collection Vol. 1

Horror Props Collection Vol. 5

Western Desert Town

Medieval Game Environment By Quixel

Boat

Song: An Obsession by Dayon - From Epidemic Sound

Shack, bridge, and Monster (sculpted, rigged, and animated) assets by yours truly.

All other nature assets provided by the always amazing Quixel Megascans collections.

Cinematic Viewport

Gameview

Cinematic Shots

Behind the Scenes

This is the mood board I created to help get a better feel for the overall atmosphere that I was wanting to convey in my project. These images were collected and saved on a pinterest board. I also used this website to extract some color palletes.

Here is a cleaner look at the monster in the video. I hadn’t created anything like this before, so I wanted to think outside the box and try and come with a clever way for creating something like this. I ended up finding this full skeleton model and thought to myself, “What if I took the bones, stretched and warped them, and used them to block out the creature? Would that work?” And it did. I was able to easily use the natural shapes of the bones to create an exaggerated, and ultimately horrifying look that I used as a sculpting base. I then created a couple skin-like sculpting brushes and added in the finer details.

This is the shack design I settled on for the final look of the project. I knew that since I was able to take natural forms and exaggerate them with the bones in order to create my monster, why not try and do something similar with the architecture. I actually had a modular shack kit that I had already built in the past and I used that as a base, and started creating new pieces to fit the newer look. Once the overall shape was in place, that’s when I went in and started to warp the pieces until I was set on this look.

For the level design, I wanted to go for something simple, yet effective. The end result of that is this three-part linear design which allows for the camera to tell a clean story as it follows a steady path forward. We start with the long winding bridge, come to the Butchers Shack, and end with the mysterious open waters with hanging meat cages.

Story

Deep within the Blackwoods lives a butcher.

Every day the butcher loads their boat with cages of meat, and hangs them up upon the trees.

And everyday, they come to feast…

…And leave the butcher be.

Thank you!

Engine version 5.0.2

14 Likes

¡So good! I love the atmosphere of the scene :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I like how the camera switches are timed with the music.

3 Likes

Realizing “The Butcher” is anything but human is so unsettling! I want to see more! You did an excellent job with this short animation; thank you for participating in this month’s challenge. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Definitely wasn’t mentally prepared for that ending. Gave me the chills. Great design though! Very unique and creepy Butcher. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Yes, thank you! I felt like it helped set a really nice rhythm for the video to follow.

So, the Butcher actually IS human, and lives in the shack in the woods. The monsters that roam around, though? The Butcher feeds them.

1 Like

Sounds like it was quite effective then! Thank you so much! :smile:

2 Likes

Nice work!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the clarification! It definitely adds a layer of creepiness to the scene. :scream:

1 Like

Thank you :smile:

1 Like

0:43(the creature) really disturbed me. Awesome work! I voted for it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Really digging that creature.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m building a much more detailed rig for the creature right now. Might do some more work with it in the future. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this is my favorite right here! Beatiful entry. Good luck and have my vote!!!

1 Like