The asset failed to save

Another year, another time this has happened to me! This time the other Unreal Engine instance was hidden in ‘Background processes’ in Task Manager.

Hah! i created two desktop window and had ue4 running in both :rolleyes:

I had this same issue, a Static Mesh asset was failing to save and it was a problem I dealt with for ages.

But, I solved it by saving and exiting unreal (leaving the problem file unsaved). Then, I just opened Task Manager and closed all instances of Unreal.

This solved my problem, hope it helps!

Thanks for noting that. I had closed down everything and it didn’t help. Seeing your message, I looked in “Background Processes” and bingo :slight_smile:

I had another UE4 running in processes but not showing. Shut that down and it could save. The risk was I didn’t know which was the ‘bogey’.

this happened to me.

after i restarted the computer, it worked. if anyone has the failed to save error.

This happens ALL the time, mostly because the editor is too slow to provide feedback (i.e. the splash window) about whether the project is actually loading. We really need (at the very least) the option to say “Load only one UE4 editor instance”. This would also be helpful if a developer’s system only meets the minimum requirements – don’t need yet another instance of UE4 eating up memory and HD bandwidth.

And realistically, maybe it’s about time Epic spends some time on an optimization release, instead of another feature release… UE4 seems to just get more sluggish with each new release; e.g. 4.21 loads noticeably slower than 4.18 on my system.

Me too, so thanks

Dude what the hell, i had the same problem it does not even show another Unreal Engine tab on the taskbar needed to close it from the TaskManager in order to really close it. But it worked eventually

For me the saving assets was failing because of a completely different reason. Realized, I had a space in my folder name. Removing the space solved it for me! :smiley:

This just happened to me as well. Is there a setting to prevent multiple instances of the Unreal Editor to launch?

Thankyou so much! I did the exact same thing. My map wouldn’t save and it was freaking me out, didn’t realise I had accidentally opened up two instances of the editor.

Also got duped by the double editor instance and this helped me. Thank you!

Help me out, please! UE4 4.23.1(from EGS launcher) [HR][/HR]
I do check twice, I have only 1 instance of UE4 running in the Task Manager.
I tried to reboot the PC, but nothing happens.

Steps on how I created the project:
I created C++ => Basic Project => No Starter Content.

The Only way to fix it was to change Read-Only for Map folder. I did this for all Content Folder(To avoid it in feature). [HR][/HR]

1 Like

Just like old rimes, but then we had white viewport error.

It happened to me too, but you can run the Engine with admin rights and check if you have one more instance in task manager of the same project. Also check if the file is not readonly. And it will work fine.

Thank you so much!

If not for this post, I might be wasting a whole afternoon trying to debug my project.

hahaha, the same

WOW. That is what my problem was! I thought my file was corrupt and was like “NOOOOOOO”. It started with 1 static mesh that I re-imported. Then another. Then if I made a change to an existing asset Blueprint, it failed to save that too.
Read through this thread and nothing was working until I saw this and checked my Task Manager and saw it! The sneaky little rascal. I ended the process and relaunched - BOOM! It now works! Very strange that this happens though. Unreal needs to look at this.

Had the same issue today! And you saved the day hahaha