Textures in class default properties not loading into UI

I am making a sandbox game and currently working on the inventory. I have a BP_Item class which stores properties of a single item. Each item is a child of the BP_Item class and it’s properties are accessed by the Get Class Defaults node. One of the properties (among name, id, description etc.) is a soft object reference to a Texture2D. This reference is later used to display the item’s icon in places such as the inventory window. However, I’ve noticed that after closing the UE editor completely and then reopening it, all the item icons turn into blank, white squares, but the variables themselves are always set. The only thing which seems to help is clearing the input field in the editor, compiling the class, assigning it again and compiling again, which for obvious reasons cannot be done after each restart of the editor.

The below picture shows a Class Defaults window of a not-working “copperore” item:

295380-copperoredefaults.png

And this picture shows the same copperore item on the inventory screen next to an item that has been reset:

295392-blankicon.png

Any help with fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

I’m having this issue with soft references to textures too.

The textures show up as completely white, in designer and in editor game preview, until manually opening the texture itself and previewing it, after which it shows up in the game fine… but restarting the editor causes it to revert back to blank white again.

This is even with a “resolve soft reference” node being used. :frowning: