Texture looks inverted when applied to Mesh (imported from 3DS Max)

Using 3ds Max 2015 I created grass, rendered to texture, exported the textures and then exported the mesh as fbx using these options:

I import it in UE 4.23 like so:

I do not import the material or textures. When I open the mesh in UE it looks just like Max (without any mats/textures applied).

This is the material I’ve set up for the grass mesh:

And here’s how the material texture looks like when I apply it to the mesh:

It looks all jumbled up. I believe the mesh is fine and the culprit is with the material. My guess is I have to invert some channel in the material, but I can’t figure it out. Something with the uvs, however If I look the uv editor in Max it seems like the uvs are fine. Take a look:

Looks ok right?

So I believe sth with exporting/importing the material/texture in UE is the problem. I’m a beginner in UE. Help will be greatly appreciated!

Since your material applies correctly to the standard editor cube, I think it’s safe to say the problem is with the mesh. Not UE.

Edit: Make sure you have applied the material to the correct index. I can see your object has two UV maps. You can also preview the UV’s in unreal engine.

And a side note. 3DS Max??? Do yourself a favour and use blender.

This answer by Sefyra helped me.

It seems to be some sort of “bug”? possibly by 3DS Max. I had to convert my mesh to Editable Mesh and then back to Editable Poly and then export it as fbx normally. It then works straight in UE4.

Glad you got it sorted!

I always hated that with 3ds max you had all these different edit modes.