Texture issue when import OBJ file from Qubicle

Hey folks I also posted this issue in the Qubicle forums but I wanted to reach out here too because I tried loading the texture in Blender and it renders fine, so that leads me to believe I am maybe missing a setting in UE4.

I am using Unreal Engine 4.7.5. Sometimes when I export my OBJ file from Qubicle and import it into UE4 I am getting weird texture artifacts. This only seems to happen if I use the Texture material, if I use SimpleTex it looks fine but then the its a rather large asset.

I know to set the filter to Nearest, and that keeps it sharp, but it does not solve the artifact problem.

Has anyone else run into this and can give me some guidance? I will gladly share the .qbcl file if it will help.

OBJ: Dropbox - TestModel.obj - Simplify your life
MTL: Dropbox - TestModel.mtl - Simplify your life
PNG: Dropbox - TestModel.png - Simplify your life

QBCL File:

Render from Qubicle

After importing into UE4 and setting the texture filter to Nearest

A close up of the artifacts I am talking about

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It’s an issue with texture compression

But, you don’t really need to use a map that way, what I would do is create a low-resolution texture map that has color swatches, like one area dark green, another area light green, etc. And then just adjust your UV mapping so that the part that needs to be whatever color is on the correct color swatch. It’s very easy to do and an efficient way of texturing solid colors without using separate materials and all it requires is a low resolution texture map.

Thanks darthviper. I appreciate the information. Honestly game dev and graphic artistry are pretty new to me. Qubicle makes the texture and UV maps for me so I not familiar with making them myself. Is that something I can do with something like Blender? Can you by chance point me in the right direction of some examples or tutorials of what you are talking about?

Yes, Blender is completely capable of doing that. All you need to do is make a small texture that has your colors in it. Then in Blender you would apply that texture in a material and then adjust the UV mapping so that the parts that need to be a specific color are mapped to the color in the texture. If you’re new to 3D, look up some UV mapping tutorials. The mapping you need to do is really really easy.