Texture Interpolation

Hello, I have a problem with my mesh: on the mark seamed edges from certain angles and distance, the texture color on the edges becomes white. I made the mesh in Blender and to fix this problem I set the texture interpolation from “Linear” to “Closest”. I tried to do the same in UE so I set the mesh used texture Filter from default to Nearest but it’s not worked. Any idea?

There are two image of my problem:

288173-texture.png

288175-edge.png

Usually textures have some bleed out of uv shells, specifically to fix this kind of issues.

The problem persists, any idea would be appreciated.

Do you think it could be a result of UV shells overlapping each other or being too near each other? Perhaps try leaving some space between the UV shells?

The UV shells aren’t overlapping each other and there is enough space between each other I guess.
Here is the UV Layout:

Do you think you could post a screenshot of your mesh? Sometimes this can be a result of improper calculation of vertices and it’s a little hard to find out without the full picture.

Good to provide a screenshot from another angle on this issue too.

Here you are:

I made this image in Blender to you can better understand how are the edges are “mark edged”.

It’s made in UE from 4 different angles as you asked.
I hope it’s help.

Hmm, I wonder if it’s because those affected areas are not Hard Edges? Maybe they are somehow smoothed even though they should be hard edges. See if you can harden those edges in Blender and try again

The mesh was exported with flat shading, so all edge must be hard edge when I export it, I guess. I think the problem is with the mesh’s texture instead of the mesh.

According to my comments so far the white line problem on the mark edged edges exists if I use one texture for the mesh (texture sample node). To use one texture and one material I have to unwrap the mesh and I need to mark edging the edges to appropriately can paint the texture. With this method knew I reach the same results with one texture and one material for the mesh instead of multiple material without Texture Sample node but the problem exists. For the multiple materials, I used simple Constant3Vector nodes instead of the Texture Simple node to set the mesh’s face colors. I have to only assign faces to different materials and the result is the same, just here I have to use more materials than the other solution.

By writing this I just wanted to confirm and want to prove that the problem is with the texture not with the mesh. To eliminate the white lines I can use multiple materials and now this is not a big problem because I just use simple colors on the mesh, but later if I want to use a painted or more complex texture for the mesh then this isn’t a problem anymore. Therefore I hope we’ll find a solution to this problem.
And if I could fix it in Blender then in UE why not? Btw to fix it in Blender there too have to set the texture interpolation from linear to closest on the Image Texture node just to confirm with this too the source of the problem.

From what I can tell, it’s less of a texture problem but more of a shading problem, meaning there may be something wrong with the geometry of your mesh. You should consider checking that aspect of your mesh instead of tweaking the texture interpolation in Blender to cover up the bad areas.

I’m not sure if you can, but perhaps we can shed some light on this issue if you can share your mesh here…

I made some test and I came to the conclusion to:

• If I increase the LOD Bias value in the Texture’s Details Window than the texture quality is deteriorating and the white line on the mesh is growing.

• I can change the white line’s color. To change it I have to set the Texture’s background color from white to another. My textures usually have a white background and this problem appeared where I used Textures like this:

Here you can see where there aren’t UV cells there the color is white and this is what I/We see on the mesh from some angles.

Here is the mesh with all components: [Toolbox][2]

Sorry for the late answer.

Hi. So I plugged the mesh into 3DS Max and the issue was there, too. The texture’s back ground is actually bleeding into the mesh:

Which is weird, considering that the UV shells do indeed have a bit of padding between the border of the texture and the UV island:

However, with a quick and dirty Flatten Mapping, I was able to fix it, despite the new UV occupying the same space:

I’m unfortunately unable to shed light on why exactly this is happening. The problem was resolvable on 3DS Max so I wonder if it could be some of your settings on Blender. But I would say to overcome this issue, what you could do is to fill the texture background with the most prominent colour (which is, in this case, brown), or with black, so that any texture bleeding would not be visible or obvious. You can also try doing this:

Make large squares of flat colours and then place your UVs accordingly. This sort of method works for projects that use mainly flat colours. It’s rough but it works well enough: it should be harder for textures to bleed into each other this way…

Thank you for trying to helping me! I’m sorry we can’t found a better solution to this problem. I think the best way if I’ll use multiple materials with base colors without texture when I working with simple colors on the mesh. If you have any idea how can fix to not bleed out the UV of the texture then I would be glad if you write it.