Testing SLICE and CUT meshes and skeletal meshes

Another test on slicings Trees and Giant moving Spheres.

Awesome work @. Could you post some more information on how you fixed cutting skeletal meshes while they are animating? I want to achieve the effect you have in your video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf2mjgBUb-Q. Iā€™m running into the problem you had where the mesh does not animate after being cut. If you donā€™t want to post your project yet a screenshot of the blueprint where you attach the new mesh to the proper socket would be very helpful.

I edited the post and added an image in the same post. ^^
The ā€œproblemā€ is not really a problem, when you be a godlike fantasy warrior that can slash all and everything. xD
But imagine the following: A big wall is in front of you, like 100x100 meter, you attack at the bottom and the complete wall is sliced, no matter how high or wide it is. ^^"
I think the best usage of the slice is for small objects like barrels, trees, ropes, chains and so.

Thanks for the answers.

• I didnā€™t tested the ā€œhit eventā€, because I thought it would only work with a mesh that is blocking other meshs and not overlapping. Iā€™ll give it a try and also other ideas I have, maybe something will work. ^^

• I donā€™t have and use animations for attack. I use a dynamic battle system with manually bone movement.

• In your video, I saw a problem that you have with your slice. With one attack, you canā€™t slice through two objects at the same time, so maybe you should try it with the delay or change the ā€œdoOnceā€ with ā€œbranchā€ and as boolean ā€œis currently animating?ā€, so it would slice as long the animation is running. How I said, I donā€™t have attack animations, so I canā€™t test it out, I can you only give possible solutions. ^^"
    (https://youtu.be/QkYVLicKbNQ?t=66 at the 2 green blocks, when you make the cut near the corner, the angle say that the cut should also be go through the bottom block)

• I did one mistake in my ā€œsolution #2ā€.
    I have misunderstand the ā€œdelayā€. It does not go to the next step after the duration is finished, instead it needs constantly input until duration reaches 0 and then it goes to the next step.
    Example: Mouse movement -> delay (1 sec) -> slice
    Means: You have to move the mouse continuous for 1 sec. and then it slices the mesh. (But when the mouse is already moving after the first cut, it makes more cuts with less wait time, not so fast as without it, but faster as the 1 sec.)
    Of course, it is better as omit it and slice the mesh with high repetition, but it is not the ā€œwait timeā€ that I really wanted to have.

I reply to a comment of Marvin Cruz on the youtube video asking if also the red cut material can be managed and edited. Yes Iā€™ve just done was simple than I tought: just added a material in the procedural mesh construction script, made it editable and SET it. Then in Player Bprint I just got it with a cast to proc mesh and connected to the Slice mesh material. It works for all meshes. :slight_smile:
6dafb28a98870ee047188811eaa8a32a7de1f1f7.jpeg

To Shisou:
For the big wall my suggestion is to create small cubes and build the wall with themā€¦like brick by brickā€¦so you will cut only the bricks you hit.
Thanks for the multiple cut suggestionā€¦Iā€™ll test it in order to cut 2 meshes with one animation.

You have to create a new socket on the skeleal bone and then attach the mesh to the new socket. I discovered this after many tests on the head: when I hit the head I HIDE the original head and you see the procedural mesh head been slicedā€¦the problem is that IF you HIDE a bone like the head also the socket of that bone deactivates and the mesh falls down. So creating a new socket on that bone and attaching the proc mesh head there it will stay up.
See the pics attached with the new headsocket I created on the head bone and aslo the part of code I use to cut skeletals BUT IS NOT YET WORKING PERFECTLY beacuse the capsule collision is not working good and enemy has strange dynamics like not moving after a cut (plays animations but stays in place) or rotating the pelvis and all body mesh some times if I hit while he is jumping and never go back straightā€¦so the code is just a tentative.

Looking great mate! Keep up the good work!

PS- I see youā€™re Portuguese as well :slight_smile:

subscribed

Thanks , sure I keep on it. Actually Iā€™m testing a lot of alternatives for the wolverine projectā€¦itā€™s interesting to discover how good & realistic stuff comes out from these tests!
I was looking the new E3 game trailers and admired these huge game scenarios, huge effects and animationsā€¦really inspiring stuff.
Sometimes I discover an effect or a scenario not yet explored and not yet used into a game and if I like it I try to jump into it and challenge myself on how much I can do to realize it and to reach the goal line I set. Itā€™s just challenging myself!

PS. Not portuguese but half english half italianā€¦and I must say Lisbona is fantastic city! :slight_smile:

After a few tests, I now have 2 slice variations that work well, #1 with overlap and #2 with hit.
They are designed for bone transform movement. @: but maybe it inspires you and helps you at your version for animations.
Because of the strange collision impulse between objects, I prefer the overlapping version.

The node ā€œConvert Physics Linear Velocityā€ is from 's victory plugin (-> (39) 's Extra Blueprint Nodes for You as a Plugin, No C++ Required! - Blueprint - Epic Developer Community Forums).
It can be replaced with the node ā€œVectorLengthā€.
I also attached a text file with the code, so it can be easily copied from the text file and pasted into a blueprint.

Ah I see! Thanks for sharing your work! So you use the sequence 0,1 trick to delay time and reset cut. I also prefer the overlap solution on my side. Iā€™ve done some tests and the ā€œdo onceā€ solution is really stable but slices only one mesh.
So to cut more meshes in one time and not using the delay trick I did this:
I created 2 proc mesh arrays and clear them at the beginning of each cut animation. Before cutting I compare the length of the 2 arrays and check if the 1st is > the 2nd. If yes I cut, if No I branch again and check if length are >= and if true I cut if false nothing.
If I cut a new proc mesh I add this to the 1st array and the half generated part is added to the 2nd array. Doing like this when the blade overlaps any proc mesh Iā€™m always sure that all the sliced meshes have a half part already generated somewhere and this gives me more control on multiple cuts over meshes that have not yet complete the slicing process.

In my opinion, for a final game, I would go with the simplest ā€œdo onceā€ solutionā€¦preferring a 1 cut stability to multiple cuts realismā€¦but the array solution is another possible road instead od using delay time that can be dangerous in slow motions. :slight_smile:

ā€“ THE WOLVERINE CHALLENGE ā€“
I started studying the most efficient workflow in order to generate new realistic characters.
Before creating the Wolverine character, I need a strong enemy to fight: Trolls are very popular at E3 in these days, so why not a Troll!
Here the 6 macro steps I choose for having this realistic Troll into UE4:

1. select a rigged realistic mesh with high def textures with morphings (muscles increase, fat, face movements, etc) and Tpose.
  2. export to iclone3dxchange, fix skeleton via Tpose and apply to iclone 6
  3. use iclone to apply basic movement animations and effects like Apex clothing. Save all and export as fbx back to 3dXchange, fix animations if needed and finally export to fbx.
  4. Import into UE4 with animation (also morphing sliding bars ready to use via bprint, if present)
  5. import into UE4 all original mesh highdef textures (color, normal, occlusion, etc) and create ue4 body parts materials (body, eye, mouth, clothing)
  6. animate and test a final scenario with different body scales (1,5,10)

Similar to the above Troll process, today I imported 2 new character from DAZ into UE4.
Before animating them, I used the UE4 photorealistic scenario to check how far Iā€™m from the UE4 head man.

f0492489d5e78d38cdd120f1ee1757492f0d3343.jpeg
0ea3c307e4574877795d0e2e0317921071f33741.jpeg
a38eefb9f36eef1fda7ff69b933430a3d09b42ab.jpeg

9d30f793a45950954b14e1218ba231280a39ec29.jpeg

Testing and re-testing again,again,againā€¦ for the best final result.
Animations have been recorded via a sensor full body technique.

I link this post I created days ago on slicing trees and the magic use of sockets:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?148770-Unusual-way-sockets-can-be-used

I just found this tutorial - It will be great starting point. But Iā€™ll try to implement it in C++.

UE4 Wolverine Test 2: camera switching in slowmotion

• blades on both hands
  • 3 attack animations
  • Bprint switching view from 4 camera action around the player.

This time Iā€™m looking for a realistic scene using Photogrammetry rocks, realistic landscape assets and real skyset.
Using onlyh 3 attacks animations for the moment: new attack animation will be included in the next days.
3 camera action dynamically changing via bprint code.

Laser Cut Insanity
After re-watching a Star Wars movieā€¦went back to UE4 and did this.
Just 3 emissive materials, nothing more!