Tessellation crack on imported mesh but doesn't on starter content mesh

Hi

I would like to know how those meshes in starter content are made? I plan to use tessellation in niagara(tried first with cascade, material cannot be applied to mesh data), it requires to disable crack free tessellation. The material has no cracks on starter content mesh but has big cracks on my imported mesh(fbx created with Blender). Any idea?

Thanks

Hello Mr_Neverm0re,

I think the problem with your meshes are that they’re not vertex sharing, each tri has it’s own set of vertices to comprise itself, even if their corners share the same location with other corners of other tris, effectively separating them.
In order to get rid of this you’d have to weld the vertices together, in Blender v2.8 you’d have to make sure that the vertices are welded together, i.e. not using a edge split modifier, the object and mesh are both smooth shaded and any vertices which share their location with an other one, are merged together (i.e. Mesh > Merge by Distance).

Hope that helps. Just let me know, if I was too unclear or if you have any questions.

Regards,

Vecherka.

Thanks for your reply Vecherka, I get your point, originally I had the same thought.
I tired your option Merge by Distance, looks like there is no “overlapped” vertices. I didn’t use any modifier. Just FYI I’m very new to blender. What I did test was just create basic mesh like uv sphere, and then export.

I also found that among those starter content meshes, only surface with “curve” edge does not have crank issue. faces like cube, pyramid, two ends of a cylinder/pipe also cracks when disable “crack free displacement”

I finally worked it out! Last time I didn’t do smooth. This time I did both vertices smooth and face smooth and it works like charm. Big thanks Vecherka!