Download

Terrain shadow and Texture LOD plus entire landscape smoothing.

I have an issue regarding shadows and materials of the terrain I have imported. (fairly new to UE4, came from Cryengine) I have looked around a bit on google and in the forums, but can’t seem to find anything.

The issue I have is that the shadows of the terrain are only visible when I get closer to the region the shadows should be, and I would like the shadow to be visible further away.
As for the textures, I can see them as far as the eye can see, and I would like to limit the distance they are seen. So essentially I have a megadiffuse texture I am using for base color at a distance, but I want to eliminate the amount of texture pattern that can be seen and rather have the Megadiffuse texture visible.
I would also like to know, if anyone can fill me in, if there is a way to smooth the entire terrain without having to use the smoothing brush. Maybe in the node network? An option that I am overlooking in the landscape settings? I will also attach a screen shot of why I would like to smooth the terrain.

Being some what familiar with how game engines work, I have tried to find the solution myself before reaching out and potentially create another thread that may have already been made. However, I am having a hard time finding anything that can assist me with these. I’m not going to compare CE3 to UE4, because they are both great, but these 3 issues I am having seem to a be a bit more difficult to resolve in UE4, probably because I’m a little new to UE4.

I’m loving it more and more though!

So to make it easier to understand:

1. Is there a way to fix the shadow clipping?
  2. Is there a way to only draw the textures as I get close to them, rather than have them drawn as far as the camera can see?
  3. Is there a way to smooth the entire terrain, even just a little, to fix the many sharp points I am finding?

I attached screen shots to show you what I mean.

1. you can just fade in/out textures with the distance -> e.g in the vehicle demo the sand material works like that (near -> texture, far -> just a colour)
  2. You will have to choose a large brush - then sculpt :slight_smile: -> otherwise do it in world machine

Did you ever figure out how to apply a smooth to the whole landscape? I’m in a similar position.