Tangent normal = Non-tangent normal?

Hi,

On the left is a rock with baked normal map (Tangent space normal is checked).
On the right is same rock with same normal map but Tangent space normal is unchecked.

This is how I’m trying to recreate the same shading for the rock on right side but without Tangent space normals checked but result is not very similar.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I think BlendAngleCorrectedNormals was designed to be used with tangent space, where B is always positive. I might be wrong though, never looked at that node.

If you want to recreate this without the checkbox you need to use the transform node. You would do transform (Tangent-> World). (make sure its not a position transform, just regular).

It might seem somewhat pointless to do this, but there are times when you need to do it this way, such as when you might need to blend to a different kind of normal that has to be world space and cannot go through tangent space conversion for whatever reason. Fwiw, the checkbox simply does this same exact transform under the hood, but doing it manually gives you the power to choose what gets affected by it rather than it affecting everything.

It worked. Thanks. :slight_smile: