Talking about camera animation in the Rift oculus

Saldations to all!
I have a 3D solutions company for architecture here in Brazil and we are with our first VR product ready for demonstration to our clients (oculus rift CV1, GTX 1060, I5).
We decided to go beyond the 360 tour, producing a virtual tour with animated cameras in the matinne, running through the project environments continuously. We are facing an already expected problem of discomfort for the user when it is necessary to make any curve in the path. Even with good rate of fps in the Rift, legs appear in these curves that do not happen when walking straight. The consequences are terrible, nauseous and dizzy which makes the product unfeasible commercially, I think of solving with teleport. I’d love for them to share their experiences with this presented issues.
Grateful.

Hi there!

In our experience but also from the literature, rotation is the type of VR movement which is more likely to cause discomfort and is often associated to simulation sickness (aka cyber-sickness).

If, on top of it, there is also a lag in the system, this is almost guaranteed to trigger a visual vestibular mismatch which leads to dizziness and nausea. This is what your customers are experiencing.

Our tests show that if a rotation takes place, it has to be extremely slow and at constant angular speed. Also any ease-in/out (change in angular acceleration) is a bad idea. Paradoxically instant turns of 45 or even 90 degrees are far better tolerated than gradual rotations.

This said, first you need to reduce/eliminate the lag in your system. Any lag will cause discomfort also during a linear movement, so you need to fix it anyway. Make sure you have applied all possible VR optimizations (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest…/ContentSetup/). Your target is 90 FPS.

Second, you can design a smarter movement system. For example, when you get close to a turning point, you can show a visual clue that you are about to turn left/right and then apply the rotation instantly. You will find out that people tolerate that much better. You can also fade to black - rotate - fade back from black to eliminate the visual component and therefore avoid any visual vestibular mismatch.

Hope this helps!

Sensational ! It was all I needed to hear to confirm my VR experiences. Throughout this year of 2017, I dedicated my time to developing an end product at Unreal for the real estate market. In your experience and observation, do you think that bypassing this problem, VR animation movies for the real estate market can reach the top of this technology?
My fear is that after so much dedication to animation, the 360 VR tour can steal the scene from market interests. In my view, there is no comparison between the two presentations, when the question is charming to the client. In the film, we escape from the static frieza of the 360 for the true sensation of immersion provided by the movement.
What have you noticed in the market, have you seen companies selling the animated VR tours successfully?

[USER=“335838”]pareon vr[/USER] I don’t really feel qualified to answer your last question. I know some people/companies who successfully market virtual tours (real estate, construction, etc.) but we work in well-being/healthcare, so a much different field of play. In our area we found out that with careful user understanding and design, but also with a lot of trials and error, it is possible to provide very engaging VR experiences. I would assume the same for real-estate, but, again, I have no direct experience with that.

You may try to read through and post your question in this section of the forum: Architectural and Design Visualization - Unreal Engine Forums

Thank you very much !