Tactical Card Game Help

Hello all I’m trying to create a tactical card game.

However, I’ve been staring at the screen for hours. I’m not sure where I should start. The game will be turn based, the player will have a deck full of 20 cards. The 20 cards will consist of movement cards, attack cards, and special cards. The game will also be top down.

I am not sure on how to create the cards and give them their abilities. Can anyone give me a hint? Or a jump start that I can build from?

Go through some of the in-engine tutorials. Blueprints, material editor, and sequencer to start. The cards could be created as two-sided plane meshes, or ultra-thin cube-based meshes. What I mean by cube-based is start with a cube, resize it to be say…6 x 4 x 0.1 (where 6 is height or Y axis scale, 4 is width or X axis scale, and 0.1 is thickness or Z axis scale). Then create materials for the card appearance (like the border, an empty space for a picture / illustration / animation, certain areas for text to write stats / description / abilities / etc). It wouldn’t only involve materials, but probably also creating a UI template(s) for various cards and their types. That is one of the most important things to research how to do correctly and efficiently.

For the playing field, there needs to be materials / textures to apply (such as a wood surface for a table or something). Do the in-engine tutorial for Cascade and/or Niagara (it’s a plugin that may need to be enabled under Engine > Plugins). Do a search for how to create a CCG or strategy card game on YouTube or other video sites, in Unreal Engine 4. Look for artists interested in doing art for that kind of game.

I have read the documentation and searched videos on YouTube nothing fits the style I’m trying to accomplish. I’m basing my idea off Kindom Hearts Re: Chain of memories. And Metal Gear acid 1 & 2 examples below

https://youtu.be/ggXNHiQN6kk metal gear acid

https://youtu.be/bRmNPGh82Io kingdom hearts

Top-down, card-based actions game? Why not start with the top-down template level?