Support for Space Navigator 3D Mouse?

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much. You are the man!!!

This will be so amazeballs. Iā€™m focusing on all the other parts of my prototype game other than level building until this is ready. Once youā€™re used to working with a space navigator, you just canā€™t go back to doing without it!

If anyone else can help or test, let me know.

I need a 6DOF controller for a UFO space sim Iā€™m working on, although using it in the editor would be amazing as well of course.

== John ==

As a new owner of a Space Navigator 3d mouseā€¦Iā€™m very much looking forward to this :slight_smile:

We are waiting too - support 3dConnection device will help a lot during development :slight_smile:

1+ Would definitely use :cool:

Hello is this still being worked on? If there is a need for testers please just say the word.

Work on this currently on hold, because of GDC, and weā€™re also trying to figure out some technical/licensing issues with the 3Dconnexion folks. Weā€™ll keep you posted!

thanks for the update!

Thanks Waiting =)

I just recently discovered SpaceNavigator and found this thread while checking what engines support it. Good news thatā€™s this is still planned, I guess, hopefully the ā€œtechnical/licensingā€ issues get sorted out. Looking forward to it.

Glad to hear that support for the Space Navigator 3D Mouse has not been forgotten :smiley:

+2 . Really looking forward to full support.

Iā€™m also looking forward to this!

+1

What is the status?
I was thinking on hiring a freelancer to do this myself.

I am using SpacePilot, also by 3DConnexion. I hope this will also be implemented?

Some preliminary work went in for Windows message queue interception and root window handle access in the SDK integration. We also have a mechanism now to write and distribute this plug-in as part of UE4 without having to include SDK files (users will have to install the SDK on their own and compile it themselves). Substantial changes are required to add support for the Space Mouse in our 3d viewports (they are currently hard-coded for specific mouse and keyboard input). I recommend that you do not attempt the integration on your own - youā€™re going to have a bad time, and even if you hack the viewport code to support the changes, a pull request for that part of the Editor code base would likely be rejected.

I had to put this on hold again, because Iā€™m slammed with other high priority tasks right now. I hope to get back to it in the second half of April.

What about the 2D viewports? Are they likewise hard coded on input, or would integration there be easier once the ability to accept the input in the first place is made available? (Looking for lower hanging fruit to pickā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: )

On a side note, could you publish your WIP in a repository we could help hack on? That way those of us with a vested interest can help as we have time with pull requests to that WIP repo, then you can get the best implementation in and done with the main repo.

Hmm that sounds rather involved. Are you aware that with the m2u plugin and SpaceNavigator support in Maya I can actually get 3D mouse support as it is? Of course the input is handled in Maya and the UE4 viewport is synced to the Maya viewport, but I just thought Iā€™d mention it. Maybe thereā€™s a good idea somewhere in there.

Cool. I would use this if it gets released. I bought a Space Navigator only to find it doesnā€™t work in Maya LT (itā€™s just sitting there on a shelf now).