Support Colmap Export

Hi there,
It would be great for RC to support the Colmap file format as an Export option. Would be very helpful to play with RC aligned components with NERFs/3d-gaussian-splatting.

This was requested ~1 year ago here but no update since, hence re-opening a feature request ticket.

Best,

Thank you for the idea, I added this to our feature request database.

3 Likes

Thanks for getting back so quickly.
Out of curiosity, do you plan to open access to some of these feature/bugfixes requests on a public board somewhere?

There is no answer for that question. I informed my colleagues about it and they will decide.

Workflow described here in the meantime:

# Install Kapture
pip install kapture

# Bundler -> Kapture
py C:\Python310\Scripts\kapture_import_bundler.py -v debug -i dataset-bundler\bundle.out -l dataset-bundler\imagelist-local.lst -im dataset-bundler\images --image_transfer link_absolute -o dataset-kapture --add-reconstruction

# Kapture -> Colmap
py C:\Python310\Scripts\kapture_export_colmap.py -v debug -f -i dataset-kapture -db dataset-colmap\colmap.db --reconstruction dataset-colmap\reconstruction-txt

# Colmap txt to bin conversion
mkdir dataset-colmap\sparse\0
COLMAP.bat model_converter --input_path dataset-colmap\reconstruction-txt --output_path dataset-colmap\sparse\0 --output_type BIN
1 Like

Hello,
I also vote for this export option. Or may be we could have directly gaussian splatting within RC :wink: ?

@Jonathan, thank you for this request and the detailed process.

Thanks
Ben

3 Likes

Hello,

@jochemla . I tried to use your scripts but I get errors (I’m not a python guy…).

I have some questions :

• I assume that we need to export the image list from RC too and then rename the file imagelist.lst. Is it correct ?
  • Should all the images be stored in a subfolder (relative to the out file) called image ?
  • Should we use index.py in first sept then use the index.sh ?

Thanks for any precisions !

Ben

1 Like

Hi Benny, your vote was added.

1 Like

mar.lor, your vote was added

Please take into consideration that a lot of users that have been working with Gaussian Splatting, are switching to Metashape. They listened to their user requests, and provided an export solution in a short amount of time:

So far we have two problems, if we want to keep on working with Reality Capture:
(-) export camera positions (alignment) into Colmap compatible format
(-) export images as cropped without black bars:

2 Likes

mar.lor, forwarded this to my colleagues.

1 Like

“Your creative suggestion has sparked our imagination, and we’re thrilled to add it to our feature request database. Your input is invaluable to us.”

I fully endorse adding Colmap export to RC! It’s crucial for NERF/3D-Gaussian-splatting workflows. Please prioritize this feature request. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Your vote was added to the request.

Hello Otrhan,

Any news about this request ?
As gaussian splatting and nerf are getting more interest, do you intend to implement colmap export?
The user community needs feebacks.
Thanks

Ben

1 Like
  • 1 it would be great to have this feature.
1 Like

That would be great feature ! +1

+1 This would be great

Seeking Colmap Export support in RealityCapture to import image alignment data into Jawset software for splat generation. Any updates on this integration? Thanks!

1 Like