Subtract Static Mesh through Modeling Editing Mode in Unreal Engine 5?

Hi and please excuse me if I use the wrong terminology at any point. Correcting me would be appreciated.

I can’t figure out how to cut a square hole out of a static mesh wall (an item downloaded from elsewhere) without resorting to importing into a 3rd party program and re-importing into UE5.

I imagine it must be possible.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, this is possible using Modeling Mode (note that this plugin will not be enabled by default, you will have to turn it on in the Plugins dialog and restart your editor). Here is a video specifically about making holes in walls:

and an overview of modeling mode:

2 Likes

THANK YOU very much.

This has already been mentioned, for example in the comments of the above video, but I’ll mention it again as a kind of bug report/feature request. Every tool relevant to this task has the problem that it does not apply to one face but to the entire model.

That is, if you want to cut a door or window, which is I think the main value of these tools, they will also cut the back side of the model (e.g., a building), which is almost never the intention and can often do as much harm as good.

I think the devs already probably know about this problem, but it’s something I hope they can fix, and I hope someone sees this and can communicate that to them. But it’s been a reported problem for a few years now.

If there is a way to cut just one face, not the whole model, then please let me know. But if not, then this is a feature request for it.