[SUBMITTED] Unfurnished Jane House

Have you seen the marketplace? half the stuff on there don’t work when it goes up the first time. give the guy your opinion and stop attacking him if you don’t like his product then skip on to the next post and don’t buy it.

No, that is not how things work in real World. Even that I won’t buy this, I still can say my opinions about this. I want to see that we, users of Unreal keep the standards high in Marketplace.

Ps. Critique is good. That’s the only way to make things better.

critique is good, bashing is not, you said your piece yet came back to keep saying it to him. the standards aren;'t that high for unreal when half the stuff needs fixed and etc when its put on there.

As Uprentiss stated, this asset is going to be dirt cheap and in my opinion as well as the opinion of some other users here, it looks great. Let’s keep it civil please.

Sure, good luck with your submission!

nice work indeed. I like the price point. My opinion without trying to sound cheap is go with a lower price point on your first release($5 seems fair. If you can ‘quickly’ add a couch, tv, table and chair model… then $8 is good which is in the middle of your initial thoughts). Try and get more people to buy it and leave positive notes for it. Then since you’re planning on making a thing of it, release the next ones with improvements based off initial responses for $10-15…and keep subsequent releases around there. Also brand it. So people know these are your relases when there’s 10+ of them floating around. "Mint"eriors - Jane House. Minteriors - Open concept Office. etc… lol.

I’m assuming the models are all independent right? So I could use those ceiling fans, sink, fridge, stove, toilet etc… in any other map I have to create my own interiors? Hence the couch, table and chairs would be nice. Could even just use your walls and floors and props to create many different layouts.

Other than that, the items do look slightly too small. Only slightly. The guy looks like he wouldnt fit in that tub so well. In the first bathroom pic it looks like the toilet is a good size but in the second one the toilet looks too small for him. The sink in the bathroom and kitchen always looks slightly too small for the guy in all pics. The fridge looks too short for the guy. I like the ceiling heights though.

If those models, bathroom sink, fridge, stove etc are all independent the user can simply scale them up by 1.23 or something to make them more realistic proportions without losing quality really since they aren’t very ‘off’. But if its just as quick for you to do it at source before release that’s cool too.

I like where you’re going with this though.

Thanks for the pointers. It would be a good idea to use some sort of branding so people know which ones are mine. That’s all good advice. I am leaning more towards the 4.99 price for the same reasons you stated. That price will be a good way for me to vet the market and get even more feedback. Also, I really think people are itching for some content they can afford.

Yes, the models are all independent so you can definitely reuse them throughout your game. Though keep in mind that it’s not a modular building set, it’s just using a modular approach, but you could reuse walls and such if you’re clever about it. What I’m selling is an Unfurnished house where every part is an independent model. Naturally the package will come with a scene that has the entire house assembled.

It’s probably just the height of the ceiling that’s making them look smaller in the screenshots. The only thing that was changed in my measurements was the ceiling height. Everything else is to scale as I did use a tape measure during development so I’d hate to change the scale because then I’d be breaking the real world measurements. But yea, if someone wants to scale them then that is entirely possible as they are each independent. Like you said, in one screenshot it looks right then in another it looks small, perspective I suppose. Seriously tho, in game when I’m playing it myself it looks correct and feels correct because of the 3rd person floating camera. The great thing about the higher ceilings for a 3rd person game is that it helps to prevent motion sickness and camera bumping but I suppose it can make some assets look smaller then they really are. Though so can a house being unfurnished make stuff look smaller then it would in a furnished room. Of course that makes sense if you consider looking at something in an empty warehouse and then when you get it home it’s much bigger then you anticipated.

You may have a point. Your shots with the third person model do look a LOT better. Maybe I was too quick to judge the scale.

I think the design of some the props could be tweaked to be better but the scale of the guy vs the props looks solid. I still think the kitchen is maybe a little wide and the bathtub area looks weird with the sitting areas on the left and right, but … yeah, the scale isn’t as off as I had originally thought.

Thanks for the update!

EDIT : Oh, I was going to point out that comparing your props to games in the past isn’t the best idea if you want to argue triangle counts, specifically. Older games had lower specs. You want people to use these props in modern games. So … triangle counts are generally going up, not staying the same. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I’m a bit old school and the props could come up a tad in poly count. Again, this is really just an unfurnished house that’s for sale. The props are just examples that come with it. I’ll definitely up the count on future example props though. I’m used to pretty low poly counts but I was reviewing some other items on the marketplace and I can see that they are using higher poly counts. At least a sub-division higher then what I made them. How far we’ve come eh? :slight_smile:

I think this look good, i dont see issues with the scale, is a very large house yes, the bathroom is almost the same size of my room jaja, but that is a problem with my very small department, not this big house.
I read on other post that the toilet have 1 meter tall, that is not true, and if so, i am like 3 meters tall.
Maybe the roof feels a little high. Typically a roof is at approx 3 meters from floor (on my country at least). But I saw houses with very high roofs too, so i don’t see nothing wrong here.
At that price I will buy :slight_smile:

Edit: the assets creators could use the Free UNIT One asset recently released by JBaldwin to check and show the size and scales

You got a purchase come payday :slight_smile:

Yep, even mobile stuff is higher than you would think these days. Crazy times. :slight_smile:

Bought it,

Okay,

Bit of a heads up to some of you older dogs out there like me, go a bit higher on poly counts with props.
Epic Games responded and they want me to up the poly count on a few specific props so keep an eye out for that update. I’m working on it now.

I’ll post screenshots as I progress with the poly count changes that Epic requested.

bought it from Gumroad.
Will post some feedback when I get to trying it in some maps. I love interiors so i have high hopes for this and future packs from you.

the assets it’s self look good. but can I point some thing out that could look better
lucky your not a architect / inter designer, because as a house it just doesn’t faction, the inside doesn’t match the outside,

• the kitchen doesn’t look like a kitchen looks more like a bench on a wall I really think Googleing kitchen layout would help a lot and copy some real world deigns. I mean there no splash back behind the sink?
  • the bench top doesn’t really look like a bench top that fits the house, I would get rid of the tiles and make it one texture
  • you need more higher cabinets
  • the panty is way to far away from the kitchen
  • you have a what looks like a new dishwasher but a 50 year old looking fridge.
  • the bath is way to small
  • there no shower
  • there no tiles behind the bath
    not trying to be mean or anything just my humble opinion
    the Room the Floor boards looks grate, I really like the pic and with furniture it will look event better.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me respond to each in kind so as to explain some of the choices that were made in this particular design.

That’s a thought, I could wip one up in no time at all. However I do want to mention that the props in the house are just example props. The house is an unfurnished house and is titled as such. I threw together the example props and included them in order to show one possible layout. All the props are individual assets and as such they can be removed and replaced upon desire to do so.

I actually really like that counter top, lol. Though that kind of falls into the category of the end user’s personal customization. Anyone could easily replace that material with one of their own.

I’ve been considering adding in some higher cabnets and maybe a few plants on top of them, ya know like some fake plants. That’s what I have in my own house, some higher cabnets in the kitchen and we have like fake plants on top of them between the cabnet and the ceiling. It looks nice here, might fit the house but bare in mind this is an “Unfurnished” house and those are just example props. The props are what you could consider “bonus” pieces that come with the house. Some top cabnets in that kitchen would really make a difference there tho so I could myself adding them in.

This house was modeled and measured directly from a friends house. My friend, Jane (note the title), actually lives in a house with this same exact layout. Ergo, that’s where the pantry is in her kitchen. I didn’t just make the house layout up, it’s modeled after a real house.

I don’t know. I have those same things in my house. There’s a dishwasher in my house and that same style of fridge here. I choose those styles after my own kitchen. They still make and sell that type of fridge. My friend has a double door fridge in her house. I could make a double door fridge and add it, would be easy enough to do. Though again, those are just example props that come with the house as it is an “Unfurnished” house.

The bathtub is measured after a real bathtub. Believe it or not but bathtubs really aren’t all that big. I took a tape measure to my own bathtub when I made that asset.

Again, it’s an unfurnished house. They are just example props. Some houses don’t have showers in them. Though I have been considering removing the sitting sides on the bathtub, moving the bathtub to the right and adding in a walk in standing shower just to the left of it. I’m currently undecided there and I’ve been brainstorming it. So it is something under consideration.

Good point, suppose it would make sense for tiles to be on that back wall there.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I will take it into consideration. I am currently polishing up some of the assets and updating as I progress.

Right on man, feedback is much appreciated. I’m definitely collecting feedback and making changes or adjustments based on them. This is my first attempt at releasing anything on the Marketplace so I really want to vet all of you and find out what people want. The more feedback I get the better I can make this house and future houses that I develop. If you have time please do post screenshots of the house in your maps, it’d be cool to see what people do with it.

Ok after having played with it for a day here is my thoughts

the empty hosue itself looks nice and will def work for what it does.

ur props makes your work look bad as the tub and bars and etc does make the house look a lot bigger then what it is and i think you would sell ti better presenting it with no props or fixing the props thats in there. but as for the empty house it looks good and works welll. looks good in a nice piece of land and some woods around it tbh

Yea, I’m actually polishing up the props now. Epic said they were too low poly which is part of the problem. The house itself is fine, it’s those low poly props that need modified. I’m almost done with a new toilet so keep posted for that update. Should have the better toilet available be the end of the day. The toilet seat is a separate piece this time so you can either have the lid up or down. It looks really nice.