Stutter when taskbar set auto-hide is on

Hello, I’m new in Unreal Engine and just downloaded 5.0.3 and 5.1 this week, but i’m have the following issue:

Issue: The editor is stuttering/laging when i click any menu with dropdown, it just ocurre when the editor is maximaxed and auto-hide of taskbar from windows is enabled

Note 1: Turning off auto-hide of taskbar solve the problem but it’s a nuisance
Note 2: no warning or error in editor (output log)
Note 3: This issue dont happen in second monitor with the same condicions (windown maximaxed and auto-hide of taskbar on)
Note 4: This issue dont happen when has another windown is open from editor and not docked, like a Blueprint Windown
Note 5: The second level of dropdown from menu do not cause the stuttering/laging just the first level
Note 6: High usage of CPU and Disk(SSD)
Note 7: There 2 posts unresolved with same issue but in UE 4

Theory: I think UE editor is ovelaping with the taskbar and the task bar is ovelaping the UE in a loop

PC:
Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Ryzen 5 5600x
RX 6800
32Gb Ram
UE installed in SSD
project created in HD
2 Monitors 144Hz

Hey there @Raky1! Welcome to the community!

This is definitely a weird combination windows/editor bug, I thought I had seen an issues thread for it before but the last one I saw was for UnrealEd (the level editor bundle) so not quite standard UE.

Similar issue looked into back last year but also not quite the same.

Running windows 10 I can’t replicate the issue (the editor reacts weirdly it’s by no mean lagging). I usually try and take a look into the source to see if a simple workaround would suffice but this is definitely going to need someone familiar with that interaction to be able to plan a fix.

Since there’s no current issue on this, would you like to submit an official bug report? When we get issues like this that aren’t reproducible everywhere it’s usually not much I can do this side but the team is definitely more capable!

1 Like

I made a official bug report.

Just updating, i formated my pc with a fresh windows 11, installed just basics programs like browser, discord, steam, visual studio 2022, last amd driver (22.11.1), epic store and download UE 5.1, all in SSD and then enable auto-hide taskbar, still same issue.

Great knowledge, this ensures it’s not a specific system issue but likely universal, it’s possibly some updated functionality of how the menu bar works that probably didn’t get much testing on UE side (it’s a rare setting to use for non-laptop power users). It’s good that people found this early in the 5.1 life cycle and hope it get’s fixed ASAP!

I’m having a very similar problem with 5.1.1 - but in my case with the taskbar set to hidden in Windows 10 it just doesn’t show the taskbar at all on mouse over if UE is maximized. This is on a desktop with a 4k monitor and the issue doesn’t occur with other software.

There are a number of other similar bugs in the tracker but they are marked as ‘Won’t Fix’

I have the same issue on fresh Win 11. It works fine until i open a menu or open a drop menu by right clicking. If not in the full screen (maximize button not active) it works normal even after adjusting the screen size to fit the screen size.
Weird bug. I am putting the taskbar back to visible.

Hey there @Manro! Welcome to the community! The issues listed that I could find that could have been related have all been closed. Could you submit an updated report to the team? This one is a bit esoteric and I don’t have any solid workarounds.

Hi! I’m having this exact issue in 5.3. Tried the bug tracker but I couldn’t find anything with the phrases I used. Is there any update on this?