Student Project, Problems with lighting

Looks much better

I would adjust the color of the candle lights though, should be a bit less saturated and more on the yellow side.

agreed. its come a long way! now you can see where the piece is headed and the potential it has.

Also agreed on the torch color. Candle light is not quite so red but getting an accurate color may be challenging. Combine that with the fact that in real life the moon is not blue whatsoever, most movies use post processing to make dark scenes more blue which also make the lights more desaturated or yellowish.

Real moonlight is actually the same color as sunlight which should be no surprise but often surprises people. So the fact that your moon light looks actually blue next to very red lights makes the unrealistic colors much more obvious. At the end of the day just pick what looks nice though.

Thank you very much!!
Yeah I will definetly change the colour of the candles to a less saturated tone and I could try too to actually make candle fire particle with flickering.

What I am trying to do also is kind of a sunset scene, and one think I don’t like about the scene right now is that the windows looks with the same colours both sides. The left ones (the ones where the main light comes through should be lighter. Maybe I should add some point lights or spotlights at the windows to light them up , the way the SunTemple demo scene does, right?

Here you can see the effect I’m trying to get in the windows:

Spotlight at those windows:

I am not sure if that map uses point lights. I don’t see why they would be required. It may just be lightmass bounce lighting and bloom settings. One side of the window frame gets hit by strong light and bounces light to the other side. because the materials are so white they bounce light very well. Your materials look a tad dark for bounce light.

I’m not saying don’t use fake lights but maybe see if you can get it through actual settings first.

Your light direction also looks like its coming straight through the windows. at a glancing angle, not much light will hit a surface and thus not much will bounce either.

maybe also try putting a ground plane under the windows to bounce sun color up at the bottom of the arches? Have you tried using emissive cards as lighting yet? Thats what alot of the archvis guys do to get really realistic soft shadows, often used around windows like this. Much more powerful than pointlights for this kind of scene.

I’ve tweaked some of the bounces and bloom settings. Also I’ve moved the direction light a little bit and changed the textures of the left windows in order to be lighter.

I don’t quite understand the plane thing, I don’t know if it should be a transparent plane :S

Here they are the new screenshots:

Also I made a new model for the door, although i need to make new textures for it.

:smiley:

Thanks

To use the lighting cards, you use opaque materials. There are two methods. One involves using emissive and telling the material to bake lightmass emissive. The other is to make a lit card with a color parameter for the surface and shine actual spotlights at it. Then lightmass bounces lighting off it acting like an area light.

This is basically replicating what photographers do in real life with diffusers to get nice subject lighting.

EDIT:

Ok, I’ve seen some examples of lighting cards in the lightroom demo

I think now it looks a little bit better :smiley: Now, I don’t know if I need those blue lights at the arches or I should remove them :S

EDIT2: The bad thin is that I can see those lines at the floor that I’m not exactly sure why they are there :S . Will try to move the lighting cards and maybe change the insensity.

You can try increasing your lightmap resolution on that floor but switching your directional light from static to stationary will probably have a nicer impact on shadow smoothness. But you lose distance based penumbra size in the tradeoff.

I still think the biggest problem here is the ambient light is very dim. Churchs bring in light like no tomorrow, and whatever light can’t come in through the windows will be supplied electrically. The sunlight coming in through the windows looks like it’s shining THROUGH a curtain before it bathes the cathedral floor. Raise the intensity of the sunlight, and try to flood the nave with light.

I will say don’t worry too much about the godrays right now: It’s only a subtle effect, and your scene does not/should not rely on it. The fact that half your image is black and the other half is dark orange should be your main concern. Most churches nowadays are lit with electrical lights, even the old ones, so it’s a bit difficult to find good reference of natural light, but you’ll need to do what you can to make sure light is coming in and filling your scene. There should be bloom where the sunlight hits the floor. If there isn’t, and you have too many black shadows, then your light is going too dark too fast, and it’s not reaching all around your space like it should.

Hi!! Sorry for the lack of answers.

I’ve been working on the scene a lot. I’ve changed the ilumination again, I’ve made also modifications to the vault, columns and also candles. Right now they have just a marble texture as a placeholder, that why they don’t match with the other objects.

Also, I’m working with other computer than my regular one (this is a laptop) so lighting was little bit different than with my regular rig.

I think now its too bright :S but it may be just me :S

Thanks!!