Stop Translucent Material from Fading with Distance

Quick question. To render Earth I have two spheres, one for the Earth color/topology and one slightly larger sphere for clouds. The clouds material is a basic translucent/default lit material that has a few panning textures mixed together. As I zoom out the clouds stop rendering (smooth transition). I’m zooming out about 20000 units in the photo. How can I prevent the material from fading?

**Edit: ** There is no fade if I set the the color to be emissive or the blend mode to Opaque or Masked. Also, the material seems to fade by pixel distance (so the outer edges of the sphere fade first).

1 Like

Perhaps tweaking LOD settings?

I’ve tried messing with the LOD settings but to no avail. If I change the material to Opaque or Masked I don’t get any fading. Nor do I get fading if switch from base color to emissive (as translucent). So idk…

Dang. Wish I knew. Materials are very mysterious to me.

Same problem with Translucent material (dark glass windows on the yaht). At large distances from camera they become fully transparent as if it was without glass. At some closer distance - it appearing and looks great. But i need to place a yaht in a decent (far) location from camera. Maybe there is some clipping plane or fade distance world parameter for translucent materials that may cause this problem?

1. http://prntscr.com/bfutqx
  2. http://prntscr.com/bfuufx

Have you found a solution to this yet? I’m searching for a solve as well.

try changing the Light Mode (in Translucency part of the shader settings) to “Surface ForwardShading”. It’s the most expensive mode but it fixed it for me.

1 Like

I’m not where I can open it up to make an example to show…

But couldn’t you just use the difference between Camera location and World location of produce a scaling value to add to the opacity?

Reading the first section in the “Lit Translucency” documentation page, it seems that the issue described may be related to the parameters listed at the top of the page. You could try adjusting those values to tune the distance at which lit translucent materials fade, including:

• r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim
  • r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeInnerDistance
  • r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeOuterDistance
1 Like

Same problem, can’t find solution

Same problem here too. The command r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim helps a bit but VRAM fills up quick and the scene crashes if you increase the default value of 64 to anything higher than 512. Is there no way to increase the distance at which lighting is kept? Hate having spotlights and pointlights and rect lights disappearing when lighting my translucent materials at distance