SteamVR Input Toolbar Option Not available

Hello everybody,

I have been trying to get my project working with VR for a while now. I had not realised that it was
as simple as pressing this toolbar option shown here (under the blue 1 icon):

That toolbar option would not show up in my main editor toolbar though:

The SteamVR plugin is enabled in my project:

Other Plugins:

A full list of the Virtual Reality Plugins, that are installed to the Engine, are* listed below:

Google VR - Disabled,
Google VR Transition 2D - Disabled,
HP Motion Controller - Disabled,
Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality - Disabled,
Mixed Reality Capture Framework - Disabled,
Oculus OpenXR - Disabled,
Oculus VR - Enabled,
OpenXR - Enabled,
OpenXREyeTracking - Enabled,
OpenXRHandTracking - Enabled,
OpenXRMsftHandInteraction - Disabled,
Sample Mesh Reconstructor - Disabled,
SimpleHMD - Disabled and finally
SteamVR - Enabled.*

I am using version 4.27 for my project, built from binary.

I am not sure why I cannot see this option and without it, input bindings are not working correctly (e.g. I can have my character move forwards and/or rightwards, but not backwards and/or leftwards).

I would appreciate someones help on this matter, it seems like what should be such a simple issue…

1 Like

The toolbar seems to be disabled by default. You can enable it (as well as access the same commands) from the Project Settings, under Plugins → SteamVR .

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help me out, but as can now been seen from above, the SteamVR Plugin is enabled for my project. I should have used different wording, to indicate that the Plugin is enabled for my project.

This has been corrected.

Would you, or anyone else for that matter, know from the Virtual Reality Plugins, shown in the screenshots above, if these would cause conflicts with the SteamVR Plugin?

As noted above, I can also provide a full list of the Virtual Reality category Plugins installed to the Engine (there are 14 in total), if this could help in resolving this issue.

In fact, for now, I might as well list them here:

Google VR - Disabled,
Google VR Transition 2D - Disabled,
HP Motion Controller - Disabled,
Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality - Disabled,
Mixed Reality Capture Framework - Disabled,
Oculus OpenXR - Disabled,
Oculus VR - Enabled,
OpenXR - Enabled,
OpenXREyeTracking - Enabled,
OpenXRHandTracking - Enabled,
OpenXRMsftHandInteraction - Disabled,
Sample Mesh Reconstructor - Disabled,
SimpleHMD - Disabled and finally
SteamVR - Enabled.

The toolbar icon is a separate setting added by the Plugin to the settings menu.

None of the VR plugins should conflict with each other directly. The engine will go through each plugin at launch, based on a priority list in the config, and will pick the highest priority one it can find a runtime for.

Note that none of the plugins support every function in the XR library. If you only program and test for the SteamVR plugin and then ship with the other ones enabled, it may pick a different one on a users machine, leading to unpredictable behavior.

Hi,

Ah, that is what you meant, I am afraid that was not clear to me. I missed that* important detail (Project Settings), instead,* checking the Plugins configuration window (as shown above).

Even with the ‘Show Steam VR Input Toolbar Button’ checkbox checked (as shown below), it is still not showing up on the main editor Toolbar (even after having the editor restarted):

Moreover, clicking on the buttons in order (as detailed here: Quickstart · ValveSoftware/steamvr_unreal_plugin Wiki · GitHub), seems to have no effect (I would not even see a system waiting icon for a moment, when these buttons are clicked on) and the last option ‘Launch SteamVR Bindings Dashboard’ also seems to have no effect.

For these issues, to resolve it, would one have to have a VR HMD (in my case, the HTC Vive), connected to their machine, with the Basestations also active and in their correct positions?

Thanks again for your help so far.

I am not sure, but it is possible that having a HMD is required for everything to work properly.

Does SteamVR launch automatically when you launch the editor? If not, the engine might be picking a different VR plugin. It should show which plugin is used in the title bar of the window in the VR Preview.

Hi again,

SteamVR automatically launches when the editor has loaded.

I will want to try using my VR setup before launching the editor, a bit later today. I will let you (and everyone else paying attention to this thread), the results of using that with the editor (to see if the SteamVR Toolbar button shows and if the options for generating bindings work as intended).

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile: .

Hello. I can not install GLTF and can anyone help me?

Hi ,

From the message you’re getting, this* would indicate that there are no compatible versions* of the engine, that can use that Plugin, installed on your machine.

From looking at the screenshot, it seems that you would have to have version 4.25-4.27 installed, for this Plugin to operate correctly (or even, at all).

Please try that and in the future, make your own forum thread, for any issues you are having. This will make it easier for people to see the specific issue you are having, instead of having to look at a post on someone else’s forum thread, to find a description of the issue.

All the best anyway.

Alright, after having my VR setup (with the HMD connected to my PC), the SteamVR Input Toolbar shows up on the main editor Toolbar:

Although, it would not seem to generate the intended axis/action bindings that I have intended, but I will have another forum thread made, if I am unable to resolve issues with getting the input setup as I would intend.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate this :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Please note, that you must not only enabled this under Project Settings->Plugins->SteamVR, but it seems that one has to have the HMD connected to their PC, in order for this Toolbar option to show on the main Toolbar.