Stationary light sometimes gives light squares in shadows on landscape

Does anyone know why I have these weird squares appearing in the shadows on my landscape?

Skylight and Directional are stationary. Landscape static lighting resolution is 16.

Thanks.

297986-ls.jpg

Nope. And I’ve seen quite a lot of other people reporting the same thing.

Usually with landscape and static lighting, but also once with props and static lighting. The problem was even more apparent there…

I guess sooner or later it will happen to someone at Epic, and then it gets fixed…

did you find a fix ?

just out of curiosity, have you got anything under the landscape or meshes etc, I’m asking because I just fixed the exact same issue for me, and it was happening because I had used GoodRain from the marketplace but it would not collide with my module splined street so I had to place an invisible square over the top of the street mesh, and I turned the actor off but hadn’t turned shadows off

Nope, nothing there… :-/

Increase the static lightmap resolution of the landscape? To 128 maybe. And tweaking the volumetric lightmap to get more samples (decrease Detail Cell Size) and more memory (increase Maximum Memory Data) might result in no squares.

Obviously I tweaked the resolution, no effect.

The other things I shouldn’t need to do, this is a tiny level.

It’s defintely a problem. I have seen others with exactly the same thing, but much worse.

I have also seen it on props.

Yup, seen it in arch viz too. No idea what’s going on…

Yeah, I’ve seen it in small ArchViz scenes. One was under a bed where it was dark, and there were darker squares and lit squares…lighter than any other part of the room! Why it would occur only under the bed is strange.

I fixed this by checking Force No Precomputed Lighting and baked twice. This will remove all lightmaps, rebaked and it fixed it. I give no guarantees, though.

This issue is usually a result of Virtual Shadows. If you go into Project Settings and change Shadow Map Method from “Virtual Shadow Maps (Beta)” to Shadow Maps. This is what mine looked like before and after:

1 Like