Static meshes keep snapping on the grid where I don't want it to go

Hi, so I’ve been currently adding in my static meshes in the Level Editor. The BSP I’ve had no problems with, but every time I move the static mesh with the gizmo or in the viewports with the arrow keys, it either snaps to another place or does not move where I want it to.

Is there any way to fix this issue? It’s been on my nerves trying to place meshes down where I want them to because it won’t move exactly where I want it to unless I move it in both or all three axes. It doesn’t appear to happen to all meshes but it is quite common.

Heya,
So I’ve seen this grid snapping button already in the toolbar and took advice before to disable it. It still seems to keep snapping elsewhere when being moved:

I’ve tried setting world and local to the object but it still does the same thing.

Oh wow! I didn’t realise that the actual object’s origin was moving around also. I have not seen that before…! It’s not happening in the wireframe view, but the origin is toggling between 2 points in the first video.

The recent video is a little crazy how it keeps drifting away from its origin… Unfortunately I don’t have the experience to even begin solving this one. The only thing I can think of is that there is something in code/blueprint that is adding mesh offset? That doesn’t even make sense though because the origin snaps back after you release it.

In the top right of the editor view there are snapping options. Currently the 6th button from the left is orange, this button is grid snapping. Click this button to turn it grey to disable grid snapping.

To the right of that button is the number of grid spaces it will snap over, you can adjust this for fine grid snapping if required. There are also settings along that bar that work similarly but for angle snapping.

1 Like

Appreciate the attempt to help me out anyways! Yeah, that might possibly be the case. I think I may reinstall 4.25 and see if that fixes the issue since this seems like a rare bug searching around the net. If that doesn’t work maybe it might be my project which I’m working from.

I have the same issue. krishy 34 did you find the solution?

If things get bugged in UE4, the first thing I tend to do is moving my Saved folder to the desktop and start the editor again and check. Might worth a try. Afterwards you can copy the relevant config files from the old Saved folder to the new one. Hope it helps.

I’ve found my answer and maybe yours krishy34!

From KeyC0de : So I searched editor preferences for “actor snap” and found a shortcut. Then I pressed the shortcut and snapping was off, even though it displayed “Surface Snapping” disabled. Apparently, the shortcut has no effect on that ui toggle - bug. So I removed the hotkey bind so as to not accidentally press it. That was so annoying. Thank you very much for helping.

1 Like

thank you!