Static mesh OnBeginOverlap event not triggering

As the title says.

The mesh was made with the in editor modelling tools. I’ve given it a box collision, when placed in the world (and collision set to block) it blocks. When set to overlap, you can walk through it but no overlap events are triggered. I’ve tried via the level blueprint “bind event to on actor begin overlap” and in the character BP, which is where I actually want it, via the OnComponentBeginOverlap event. I also turned on hit events to check that, doesn’t work either.

I thought I had done everything, I guess I was wrong.

If someone smarter could help, that would be great.

(In pic attached I’ve pasted a screen shot of the mesh collision settings on top of the blueprint settings)

I put a basic cube in a blueprint, and the only thing I changed was

343869-screenshot-5.jpg

and it reports overlaps. Can you work out from that basic model?

PS: If you want to have overlap events, but not actually go through the mesh, then use a collision volume :slight_smile:

I put the SM into a standalone actor BP and dropped into the map, it generates overlap events fine there. so I’m now even more confused as to why it won’t work on my char bp.

The goal here is to use a variety of static mesh shapes as a moba like aiming reticle for spells/abilities, and then as a mesh to project the VFX onto.

If you want it to work in the character, I’d recommend using a collision volume.

To generate overlap events there is a check box on colliders “Generate Overlap Events” that should be enabled on both the colliders.
Check this :point_down::point_down: for more info
https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/hbahyn/event_begin_overlap_doesnt_trigger_solution/