Static Mesh importing takes forever

Hey guys,
I’ve been using UE4 for a while now since it came out, and until now importing small meshes and testing stuff out worked out just fine. But now I tried importing a “bigger” mesh (by the way I’m using Modo 701) with around 2000 polys and the importing process takes forever. I had to manually quit UE4 through the task manager :confused:

So I tried again: started importing, went out for dinner, came back and it was still importing (the progress bar still moving).

This seems to happen with all meshes that exceed 1500 polys. Am I doing something wrong? I tried out various import settings and still no luck. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

-Raphael

Yay, a fellow Modo user. :slight_smile:

Which FBX exporter are you using in Modo? I tend to have the best luck with the 2010 version. That might not be your issue but it’s worth a shot.

Yay :smiley:
Tried both 2013 and 2010, both kill my UE4. As soon as I try to import more than ~1500 polys the editor just takes forever to import. It’s weird, because UE4 per se isn’t freezed or something, the exe works fine and everything, it’s just that the import progress bar is there and moves forever.

I have recently imported quite a few static meshes all over 1.5 million polygons. As long as you have your mesh triangulated it WILL eventually work. I have waited more then 8 hours for a single mesh to import when the poly count is very high. I was frustrated as well thinking, there is no way it should take this long, it must be frozen. If it helps to ease your mind, watch the task manager. The memory usage will change every now and again by little bits. I used this as peace of mind that my import was still chugging away.

But why is this? I mean, at this speed of workflow I can directly put my project in the shredder if I have to wait that long for a single import. What if I made a mistake and had to reimport? Never mind :expressionless:

Do you think this will be fixed? Because in Unity it took me 2 seconds to import the mesh, but I really don’t plan to use Unity for this project.

The best thing to do would be to provide your mesh in the official FBX import thread. This way others can test and see if there are additional issues. I personally work with very LOW poly meshes while I develop my project. I plan on spending about a month to import all of my high quality art. For me, uploading meshes is a total pain in UE4 along with compiling shaders. I am not entirely sure why these processes take so long. Test with a very low poly version of your problematic model just to get the export/import settings down.

Another pitfall you should keep in mind is the 64 materials per mesh limit. This caused unresponsive imports for me when I first started with UE4. If you would like to browse my original thread, you can check it out here. I completely feel your pain…

Yes, please post any mesh like that to this thread:

We are looking for problematic FBX files and having example files is really valuable!

Hm, thanks a lot for answering :slight_smile:

I already checked that thread out while I was googling my problem this morning :wink:

I think I’ll just keep myself busy modelling the assets and perhaps Epic will fix this issue soon. I’d rather not share my meshes with anybody, it’s really nothing personal, but I just feel weird about it. I’m completely sure there aren’t any other major issues with it, since Unity imported them perfectly. Fyi: I tried splitting the problematic mesh and importing each piece of it one by one. That worked for me, although I have to say that it is REALLY rubbish to assemble a simple 1752 poly mesh piece for piece… What a disappointment

That thread isn’t to debug your FBX, it’s to give us examples cases of problems so we can get the FBX importing code as slick as possible. You’d be helping out your future self by posting your mesh (or some other example mesh) there for the coders to use.

But it’s up to you!

Hm alright then, I posted it.

Any FBX that we get from Mixamo, with morph targets enabled, takes about 6 hours to import. Each.

Hi Maha Vajra,

This is an old post and the thread where they were posting problem FBX problems has since been closed. Please start a new post and describe precisely what type of FBX files you are trying to import (include polycount, etc.) Be advised that there are known problems with the 2013 FBX exporter, using the latest version of Blender with the 7.4 Bin exporter.

Thanks,

This is still a problem, 1 million poly meshes can take 10-15 minutes to open…