Static Mesh extend like Venom

Hey, I really need help on this one
Some of my trees are doing strange thing when I look on a certain direction, it disappear after looking away, and reappear if I look again. And almost the same thing when i dismember a zombie, the mesh is doing the same think, but no matter where i look.
Nobody seems to know where it come from
If you have the answer, please you will be my hero
Thanks

1 Like

Disconnect world position offset in the material.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer, the material of the zombie already donā€™t use the WPO
Maybe you mean in the engine materials ?

1 Like

Is the stretching issue still present if you use a default engine material? If so we could look at other things since this issue can be caused by a lot of things from animation stretching to shaders to a specific GPU case.

1 Like

Good point, but it does the same with a basic material

On a different engine (XRay) I used for one of my old projects people were reporting this as a glitch with DX / tesselation. However, those stretch lines were glitching all over the place in rapid motion and followed the characters their absolute position.

• Are the stretch lines pointing towards a specific location? Is the endpoint of the stretch visible and does that endpoint stay at the same absolute position?

• Itā€™s also interesting that the trees are doing the same since they are less complex than the decapitated zombies you also notice this on. Do the trees use bones for animation? Or are these the static meshes?

• Just to be sure, are there any errors or warnings in the log that could be relevant?

*Edit Iā€™ll be back later today to reply. Some things you can also try are:

1. Updating the GPU drivers
  2. Checking if the problem exists in UE4, since people report a lot of trouble on UE5.
  3. Testing if the problems exist on a different PC (different GPU), as this can be a soft/hardware related GPU rendering problem.
1 Like

Thanks for your time
So My GPU drivers is up to date
Canā€™t convert the project into UE4 because of some of the contents.
And actually I canā€™t export my project on another computer (because I have only one)
There is no errors or warnings in the log that can be usefull, actually the game crash only If I kill alot of zombies.
For the zombies, it seems that the mesh is attracted by this original position, but only the material (or texture) because the head keep moving and falling.
For the trees, they are pointing the same direction, and yes they are all static mesh.
Hnet-image (3)
Hnet-image (4)

1 Like

It can still be quite a number of things but since it happens on a static mesh AND with a basic material, we can skip a lot of tests. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s gpu related and I have seen this happen on a few big released games as well (even Dark Souls 2) and in the next link itā€™s seen on Halo:
> Halo texture stretch glitch
They suggest lowering graphics settings, could you try lowering the ā€œOveral scalability levelā€ setting on UE? Itā€™s this panel:
> Scalability Reference
Next we can also try a different renderer version and see if the problem remains. That setting should be under Project Settings > ā€˜YourPlatformā€™ > Targeted RHIs where you see a few checkboxes where you can select to use DX 11 / 12 Vulcan etc which should be it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve put the Overal scalability level to low : nothing
Tried to switch on dx 12, then vulkan (take me so much time to rendering the sharders) : nothing

Itā€™s a mystery to me what else it can be without a lot of further testing , especially the remaining tests I noted earlier:

How do the static meshes look in the mesh editor, OK or stretched?

Are the assets from the marketplace? If so check if the creator / other buyers know:

What I find strange about this image is that the head disappears on the ground the moment the zombieā€™s neck is out of camera, as if it is removed by occlusion culling from the zombie position instead of where it actually is. It also appears to briefly cast a long shadow which might suggest the stretch is actually a mesh? Debugging the zombie case might be more difficult than the trees since the problem can also be caused by the decapitation mechanic or bones, so the best lead here are the trees which are simpler static meshes.

1 Like

Yes I have assets from marketplace, nobody seems to have the same problem.
I sended a message to the dismemberment creator, but nothing for now.
itā€™s really frustrating, I will go to try this on UE4, but like i say, It will not contains the same things inside the project, so idk if itā€™s gonna be usefull. But actually idk what to do :smiling_face_with_tear:
as you mentioned, the head disappear when the camera is out or the original position
This is very interesting, it might be a clue

2 Likes

Likely. normally things disappear when out of vision, this technique is called ā€œocclusion cullingā€ and exists to improve performance. However it is very strange that a rolling head in front of you disappears because itā€™s original location (zombie) goes out of visionā€¦

If a clean project produces your issue which no one else seems to have, then that would again point at an issue with your own pc like a driver or gpu problem.

Sooo, I find this on YT, Iā€™m not sure If I want to launch this on my computer, what do you think? : UE4 & UE5 Editor Flickering Issue FINALLY FIXED - Bugfix - Unreal Engine 4 - Unreal Engine 5 - YouTube
And Everything work fine on UE4.7, so this is obviously a UE5 issues (i guess)
I was thinking about creating a build of the game and launch it as a released game on my computer ? To see if itā€™s always here

I wonā€™t recommend any random link to a zip file. What you require is an engine version which works fine and you should stick with that version until an official patch is released for either the engine or the GPU driver (since you said others do not have the problem).

Well, I hope you right. Iā€™m not sure to sleep well with this issue in mind
Anyway, thanks for your time even if we didnā€™t fix it
I will post here again if I have an uptade
Cya

During development you should just stick with the most stable version with the least issues (often not the latest) such as UE4.26 / 4.27. When your projectā€™s development is (nearly) done, you enter the testing stage in which you basically stop developing new features and start fixing any problems that are left (such as this one). At that point many people will have to test the end product so you can find out about issues just like these which in some cases only a few people might be experiencing. So for now you have nothing to worry about.

It doesnā€™t work on 4.7 and also 4.26 :smiling_face_with_tear:
It worked initially but after restarting the game the zombie still try to extend his head
BUT there is no issues with the trees anymore in 4.7
I tried to change the Nvidia installation by Game Ready to Studio, it does nothing
I have this on the Log when I hit the head :
LogScript: Warning: Script Msg: Attempted modulo 0 - returning 0.
LogViewport: Display: Viewport MouseLockMode Changed, DoNotLock ā†’ LockOnCapture
LogViewport: Display: Viewport MouseCaptureMode Changed, CaptureDuringMouseDown ā†’ CapturePermanently
LogSkinnedMeshComp: execBoneIsChildOf: BoneName ā€˜Noneā€™ not found in SkeletalMesh ā€˜SK_ZombieAAā€™

OK so the issue remaining on all tested versions is the zombie?

This might point at an issue, try inspecting where this happens and what bone name it is expecting other than None.

Warnings are sometimes an issue, errors always are:

Could also point at an issue in a material or code, modulus 0 or division by 0 should not be allowed.

• The creator of the asset might be interested if this all happens on a clean project. try tagging him / her