Static Mesh doesn't affect the nav mesh

Hello,

im trying to affect the navmesh of a NavMeshBounds Volume by changing the Area Class in the static mesh editor:

82424-unbenannt.png

After adding the new Area Class, i tried to repaint the nav mesh by moving the static mesh in the level editor. But nothing happened.

I also tried to change the Area Class in a NavModifierVolume:

82425-03.png

You can see the result in editor view:

Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature not implemented? (the selected mesh ist the one with the new area class)

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

This might be a really silly question but I’ve had similar before…Is the static meshes collision set properly? Otherwise the AI and the navmesh will treat it as if you can travel through it.

Yes, i think so. Otherwise the green Nav Mesh would not be generated above the static mesh. Or am i wrong there?

Hello,

Could you be a bit more specific about what you are trying to accomplish? When you say “affect the Nav Mesh”, do you want your static mesh to block the Nav Mesh from generating in that area?

Hello,

No, i don’t want to block the Nav Mesh in that area. I want another Area Class, like i did it with the NavModifierVolume. To be clear: i want other costs for streets than sidewalk for example. I would like to bind it to the static mesh with a area class.

So looking at your second screenshot where the pink area is being displayed, what you are saying is that the Nav Modifier volume is working as intended, but when you attempt to set the same navigation area class on the static mesh, it is not working. Is that correct?

Yep, that is correct.

Try checking Is Dynamic Obstacle. When I used the default Sphere mesh and set a new navigation area class, as well as set Is Dynamic Obstacle to true, I experienced the desired results. Let me know if that helps.

1 Like

Hello,

i have tried to modify the navigation area and it worked with a sphere mesh as you described. The Problem is, i do not want to use the obstacle mode of the mesh. I want the nav-mesh to be computed with the modified nav area class on the surface of the mesh. If i use your method than the nav area class would only be computed on the inside of the sphere, but i want it to be computed on the surface. I would like to show you, with the following two pictures:

With obstacle and the wanted area class, but not on surface:

83327-06.png

Without obstacle and the default area class, but on surface:

83328-05.png

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hello,

After some further investigation, it appears that you have two options in order to get the result you’re looking for:

1. You can mark your mesh as a dynamic obstacle, and work around the stuff that you do not like about having it marked as such.
  2. You can use a Nav Modifier Volume.

Currently, there is not a feature for painting a navmesh with areas at this time, but it is something being considered for a future update.

Have a great day

1 Like