Starcraft: Space Marine - title screen

Hello community!

I’m pleased to finally be able to share my latest UE4 passion project.

Ever since I saw the cinematic intro of Starcraft II, I wanted to model that space marine. So around a year ago I decided to do just that. For a long time it was very much an on and off situation, with months in between that I couldn’t touch it at all. Prolonging the overall process quite a bit. It wasn’t until December last year that I could really focus on it and bring it to completion.

Once I finished the suit, it’s textures and the shading. I added his rifle and finally his head. Since I now had all of the parts completed, I thought why not take it a step further and rig him too.

I finally had a complete space marine character, or more precisely, the space marine known as “Tychus Findlay”.

First I thought about doing a fully fledged cinematic with him and a couple of Zergs, but that would have meant another 3-5 months of work. Since I have many more projects I wanna pursue, I wanted to find something less time consuming but still more interesting than a turntable. So I opted for a title screen animation for a fictional third-person action game set in the Starcraft universe. Hope you enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/199587488

https://vimeo.com/199584007

Making of:

Research:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Modeling:
Software used: Maya [suit,rifle] | Zbrush [head]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Texturing:
Software used: Substance Painter, Substance Designer

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Rigging:
Software used: Advanced Skeleton

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Animation:
Software used: Maya, Advanced Skeleton

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Shading:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Lighting:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sequencer:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Blockout to final:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Longtime Starcraft lover…must say well done for a one-man team.

Looks solid.

I personally would had avoided to use that cigar (super hero who smokes under a space helmet), sending signals to the subconscious mind, of an audience primarily made up of kids and young adults who are susceptible to such subliminal messaging.

Very nice :slight_smile:

It shows how much work you put in!

Very cool, it’s interesting how far things have come–you’ve basically got the quality of the original trailer but now in real-time

Awesome job.As a maya user i have to admit i did a similar(complex) character like you did,entirely by hand in maya.No zbrush.(only for the face)
a-because i wasnt confident in my zbrush skills back than
b-because i feel there is some kind of small majic involved to the final model if you do all those panels and cracks and lines by hand,rather than using brushes.
Took me 6 months as i was back and forth with it to make it perfect…

I higly recommend,for characters of this caliber in the future you use zbrush as its a time saver.It coud get in a litle pain,but with practice its doable.(and you want lose interest with the passing time and squeeze your life force from the tip of your fingernails).I supose you know the feeling :wink:

Check the Eat3D ZBrush Hard Surface Techniques tutorial.The character is similar but you do it much faster.Its worth the time inveseted in learning the technique.

Thanks guys!

@O_and_N: In terms of modeling hard surface. Yes, I could have done it in ZBrush. But I still prefer traditional hard surface modeling in Maya for final topology because of precision and control. No doubt ZBrush is perfect for concepting (organic and hard surface)! But you would still have to retopo the shapes there, too. So in the end it takes time to get clean meshes either way.

If you dont mind, could you let me buy your asset? i am a guy who trying to make starcraft project