Standard Practice? Or an Exception?

Earlier today I made a post that got deleted. I sorta have an idea why, but I am not sure.

And, to be honest, from a business perspective, it doesn’t really matter if I understand their reasons for removing my post.

It’s their platform. From a legal and business perspective, I get it.

However, my inquisitive nature questioned whether this was standard practice or an exception?

Moreover, my understanding of the decisions required to establish flagging protocols and related communications raised my curiosity. My mind was challenged to understand the internal flags my post had raised.

I spent like two second thinking about it before ultimately concluding that their reasons were irrelevant. And inconsequential. A red herring.

The real issue is the fact that I had entered into an arrangement that afforded someone else the right to delete my original content.

Fortunately, it was not a long post. Therefore, I had no problem re-creating it. But, the fact that I self-corrected and found a workaround did not negate the fact that I had spent time thinking through that content, developing it into a coherent narrative, and thereafter posting it to their site.

But, regardless of how much time I had spent creating the post, and despite the value I had assigned to my time, there was still no basis to argue the matter.

They are the legal owners of the platform. They can do what they want, even if it means invalidating hours upon hours of original thought and hard work.

My experience inspired me to try to explain this unfortunate content creation conundrum, from a legal perspective, yet using straightforward words, concepts and analogies.

Putting aside any emotional or personal connection to the content itself, the reality is that, just like you, your content lives on their platforms “at will.”

Most people understand what it means to be an “at will” employee.

Look at your content the same way.

Your content resides on their platforms at their convenience.

What this means is that, regardless of the time, energy and effort you may have expended in creating the content, it lives on their platforms at their discretion.

You may have thought you created a Masterpiece. And, in fact, you may have.

But, pursuant to the terms you agreed to when you started using their platforms, you also agreed that they have a right to delete it “at will.”

Accordingly, they can boot you out of a job and simultaneously delete all of your content, for any reason whatsoever, at their sole discretion.

That’s what “at will” means.

Case closed.

As a solution, I decided that I would first create content using a method more in alignment with my objectives and then re-post it. That way, I retain a record of my original content.

Problem solved!

Now, moving on.

Today, I decided to create a second post to state more directly what I said in the post that was deleted. For context, the background is that the deleted post was created as a a follow-up to a post from last year. If this updated post is deleted too, then I guess I will more fully understand why.

So here’s the deal.

Someone is stealing my “data” without my consent and using it in one of their games, simulations, or similar environment, like funded research or private R&D. They think they are slick but I can see their “research” and their “development” all the time.

Whoever or whatever it is, let me say this:

If you don’t remove my “data” from your bag, I will sue you. Not just for infringing multiple patents, but also for being careless, negligent, and reckless in your implementation of required privacy and research security requirements.

But before I sue you, I will publicly identify you. Because, at this point, I know exactly who you are. Thank you for outing yourself.

Depending on how I feel in the Moment, and the game being played, I may just obliterate you, right on the spot.

I am not your Character. I am not your SIM. I am not your Cohort.

At best, I am an Avatar created by me.

An existence none of y’all are even aware of. Apparently.

Despite your lack of knowledge regarding these matters, you continue to “research” and “dig” and now most recently “tunnel.”

Now that you know who I am, and my role in this project, I am sure you would understand why I feel justified in using curse words at this Juncture.

Nevertheless, I am advised against the use of profanity.

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. That is a reasonable and understandable request.

Despite your inclination as an artist to be as “real” as possible, if you want to make money and earn a decent living, the truth is that you also need to understand the environment surrounding you and how to exist successfully within it.

No matter who you are, if you are a person with with a really good idea, concept, or invention, people will start listening to you and taking you more seriously. Soon thereafter, you will start to hear terms like: monetization, commercialization, productization, roll-out, go-to-market strategy and similar terms.

In fact, the list of “things” they factor in when creating their business plans and developing their financial models is staggering. The list is constantly changing and becoming more and more granular.

From a business perspective, it is advisable to be prepared and to have a firm understanding of the game being played (which in this case means being committed to outcomes and not overly influenced by inconsequential words, concepts, and terms).

At this stage of development, every single word within every single business-related discussion has a perceived value and meaning.

Depending who’s looking or listening, every word used in any business-related discussion or presentation will be noticed and in some cases scrutinized, down to each word’s origin, history, historical usage, and phonetic pronunciation.

Based on actual professional experiences in this area, I am aware of the types of business-related decisions that take place and the content of presentations that get passed around during the very early stages of development – in general, it’s the place where the long-term strategic business and financial planning decisions are made.

From a legal, business, and professional perspective, I get it.

If the roles were reversed, I would have deleted their post too.

Despite my inclination to want to call them out of their name, for business and professional reasons, I will attempt to refrain from the use of profanity.

The following is a modification.

In instances in which a curse word might otherwise be appropriate, I will instead use the most relevant and relatable business-oriented term.

For example, in Game Mode, instead of using a curse word, I would typically look them square in the eye and call them cowards.

Upon finding evidence of the lack of fair play, and depending on the level of the game, my Avatar would then step forward, lean over them, and say something fierce
like:

“Certainly, you must Now realize that it is an Act of Cowardice to Lose in Bad Form.”

From there, referring to them as cowards became standard practice.

Upon exposure, and again depending on the level of the Game, the scene would then change.

For example, at a particular level, a geometric shape appears, which activates a Spherical Portal. Unphased and unbothered, my Avatar and I step through it.

They are Stunned.

Many of them scratching their heads in disbelief and simultaneously hanging it in shame.

At this point, they are instructed to GTFO. Or Get Obliterated.

Thereafter, silence.

Thank in advance for your cooperation.

1 Like

ok

2 Likes