Speleothem cave setting

Hello there!

My name is Max Raitio, and I will be presenting the first posting of my new project in my Videogame Art course (Universal Arts School)!

My project is a setting focusing on a fictional speleothem cave, a cave that is filled with sharp, pointy rocks and unique mineral formations that are jutting out from all directions!

The cave will include a pathway for tourists to walk on, making it’s way through the impressive rock formations down to a large body of water, where there will be a watercraft waiting to take on the tourists and carry them deeper into the cave. The setting will be realistically illuminated with powerful lamps, as these cave attractions are in real life!

This project will be a massive undertaking to create, but I am looking optimistic and I excitedly look forward to sharing new updates in the upcoming weeks on the progress of the project!

Below you can see the initial reference photo from the project’s starting day!

1 Like

Week 2 update!

During the past week, the cave has been altered to be smaller and more natural looking. Sharp speleothem rocks have been modeled and are being implemented across the cave in differently sized clusters. The roof will have far more rocks as the project is being worked on, while the ground will also have more elaborate rock formations.

Upcoming structures in the project will include the watercraft and further details such as improved lighting!

Updated reference sheet

Week 3 update!

Project briefly stagnated a little as the focus on the themes went over some reforms. The setting will be including more manmade objects soon, including abandoned minecarts and minecart tracks.

Lighting has been updated! It is now far more lively and colourful!

The watercraft for ferrying passengers has been finished, with texturing undergoing minor adjustments as work progresses forward. Pathway has been modeled and texturing is underway!

Extra details of the cave are temporarily on hold as the focus has shifted to the manmade parts of the project setting!

Work on the watercraft.

Work on the pathway.

The planned design of the minecart(s)!

And finally, the planned spot for the minecarts!

Updated reference sheet for the project setting!

More work is underway! Till next week!

Week 4 Update!

The cave has gotten a complete size overhaul, being now only about a third of the previous weeks size!

As such, the original pathway inside the cave had to be completely rebuilt to the new size standard inside the cave

Minecarts are well underway, and should be making their appearance in the upcoming week!

Week 5 Update!

The setting has received a full lighting rework, along with a finished model of the minecart that is visible near the entrance!

Early animation testing is taking place!

Week 6 Update!

Progress took a small slump due to busy real life things, but the minecart and the pathway have been succesfully textured! Initial level playtests have been made, revealing some hefty bugs that need to be solves very soon…

Hi there @DatMadMax !

This cave rendition is absolutely magical! I’ve seen one or two very similar in person so I’m excited to see just how you bring it to life with Unreal! I also appreciate you showing the texturing for the minecart as I personally struggle with older metal textures myself, haha.

Man, I love seeing unique takes on art like this. And seeing your progress, chipping away at each unique setting or asset - just awesome. Keep it up!

Hello there @The_M0ss_Man ! Thank you so very much for your feedback on my project! I greatly appreciate it!

For the older rusty metal texturing, I actually downloaded a texture material from the Adobe Substance 3D Assets community page! They have a huge selection on very useful materials to use, and I found one of metal with rust that can be altered quite handily! I’ve used it in several projects, and it has served them well!

Hello there @ajbastian27 ! Thank you so very much for your kind feedback on this project! It’s hugely appreciated!

Challenges aside, it’s honestly one of my favourite projects I’ve yet done! I’ll be trying to make it as grand as I possibly can, more content will soon follow up!

Week 7 update!

The cave has received it’s initial placeholder testing textures. These will be replaced in the future with better looking ones!

Lighting went over a slight revamp as well!

First succesful playtesting with corrected hitboxes has taken place!