What Is it?
Sparse Grid is a high-performance spatial sorting system for Unreal Engine 4, allowing developers to perform ultra-fast searches for nearby objects without the need to use collision sweeps or actor iterators.
The plugin quickly integrates into any existing C++ or BP project. Simply use the editor tool to define the play area of your world (or update it on-the-fly), and add the Sparse Grid Component to any actor you want to register with the grid. You can then use the built-in search queries (or write your own) to lookup those actors incredibly quickly.
Why do I need it?
We use this plugin for all our internal projects - it greatly benefits the following:
- Any area-based searching (AI, Seeking Projectiles, Damage, Impulses etc.)
- Large worlds or worlds with high actor counts.
- Large projects with complex or unique collision settings.
- Reduces the N[SUP]2[/SUP] problem significantly. (Lots of objects all querying lots of other objects)
- Developers of RTS or similar high-unit-count games.
- Or if you just need a super-fast way to find nearby actors often!
- Written entirely in C++
- Neatly exposed to Blueprint.
- Built for performance and flexibility. Sorting is extremely fast and transparent, requires no network bandwidth and memory allocation can be carefully tailored to suit each world.
- Intended for all platforms (Tested on Android, Windows, PS4)
- Seamless support for Multiplayer, Large Worlds, Streaming Levels, Procedural Worlds and World Composition.
- Five built-in search queries (Sphere, AABB, Box, Cone, Capsule).
- Exposed methods allow you to build you own project-specific search queries (C++ and BP), and benefit from the grids performance.
- Includes several custom macros for ease-of-use in Blueprint.
- Extendable API and full source code – customise the plug-in to your project needs.
- Fully documented code. Tutorials and Documentation coming soon!
- Full support for UE4 profiling tools and includes several custom debugging/monitoring tools, such as heat mapping.
- E-Mail support.
- Available for UE 4.18 (excluding Mac/IOS) and above (All Platforms)
What does it include?
- Sparse Grid World Manager
- Sparse Grid Actor Component
- Sparse Grid Editor Toolset & Debugging Tools
- Sparse Grid Blueprint Macro Library
- Sparse Grid Blueprint Function Library