Sparse Spatial Grid Plugin by Stormtide Ltd.

Thanks everyone, the plug-in is finally available :slight_smile:

Iā€™m gonna make some changes to the initial post and use this thread as a support thread now! Enjoy!

Looking forward to some videos as I have a complex searching ai in a large open world. Could multiple ai access the same heat map and could all ai update the heat map as its searched? I presume the heat map colour represents 0 to 1?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, as it certainly seems like youā€™ve focused on performance, butā€¦

Is this not very similar to what PhysX ultimately does behind the scenes for overlap queries? The collision objects are stored in various acceleration structures to make it fast to do spatial queries, so Iā€™m curious as to any specific numbers you have regarding the performance improvement of using your plugin to do a common sphere overlap test rather than just using the existing PhysX API.

Iā€™m quite interested in using this plugin if it does prove to be significantly faster than a sphere overlap, so please donā€™t take this as an attack. Iā€™d simply like to see more detailed profiling numbers before making a purchase. :slight_smile:

All objects query the same grid, and all objects that have the grid component are sorted into that grid. You can think of the Grid Component as being similar to an Actor, in that you will need to filter and/or cast objects yourself once youā€™ve found them. In a couple of cases, Iā€™ve internally used the Grid Component as a basis for a more generic ā€œGame Object Componentā€ which shares common functionality for that game (e.g, team number, health etc.)

The Heatmap is not populated by searching, but is a visualization of cell density. Itā€™s an editor-only system mostly there for debuggingā€™s sake (i.e, a huge world where you might not know if you need to change the density of cells etc).

Youā€™re pretty much on the ball, the acceleration structure in this case is a coarse grid, (which in my use-cases proved faster and simpler to manage than a Quadtree/Octree or similar). I should certainly provide some performance metrics as soon as I can, but itā€™s worth nothing that this system is meant to be used in tandem with PhysX rather than replace it.

You would typically use this more for game-specific searches. The idea is that you apply the grid component to common gameplay objects (e.g, vehicles, powerups, pawns etc.) - and then use the grid to find those objects rather than relying on collision sweeps etc.

One advantage is that youā€™re only ever querying and filtering relevant objects rather than every object that belongs to a given collision channel (or channels) - but it also means that you donā€™t have to manage a project with ever-more-complex collision settings that can easily introduce bugs and so on (e.g, somebody modifies the collision setting of a vehicle, but now certain types of projectiles canā€™t find it etc.)

Itā€™s not so much that the plug-in is magnitudes faster than a sphere overlap. If anything in some cases PhysX may well be faster (though often thatā€™s not the case), but itā€™s just a ā€˜nicerā€™ way to sort and search for things at the gameplay level, in this guys opinion at least! Itā€™s also kind of the result of some personal gripes I have with people attaching enormous collision shapes to projectiles and AI entities, then wondering why their physics scene stats are through the roof :smiley:

Hey, this looks super interesting, but I have to admit that I donā€™t really understand how this is used, or useful.

Letā€™s say I am building a colony-management / rts game, with AI ā€œcitizensā€ going around collecting resources, building stuff, etc. - and enemy AI, which is more or less walking around on a very big map (so open-world in the sense of outside, but not an endless map).

I build the map by procedually spawning ā€œmap-tilesā€ (which are static meshes) with foliage and enemy AI and other stuff on top, at runtime.

Now, if I add this plugin to my project, in which way exactly can it benefit me?

Thank you for enlightening me (:

Thanks for the detailed response! The plugin as a way of reducing the absurdness of managing collision channels (if you try to use them for generalized spatial queries) in Unreal makes a lot of sense, and is another reason why I was interested in your plugin in the first place. I look forward to seeing some profiling numbers just for due diligenceā€™s sake but your answer gives me confidence that you know what youā€™re doing.

Hey! Did you see my post just above yours?

(NB: I also replied to the comment on the store page)

Sure thing - Iā€™ll put together some test cases when I get the chance so people can see how it performs in different situations!

FYI

I copied your plugin into the source and it compiled fine. However got the following warning. I just purchased it minutes ago.

2>Module.ST_SparseGridEditor.gen.cpp
2>Module.ST_SparseGridEditor.cpp
2>Module.ST_SparseGrid.gen.cpp
2>Module.ST_SparseGrid.cpp
2>[5/8] Link UE4Editor-ST_SparseGridEditor.lib
2> Creating library E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGridEditor.lib and object E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGridEditor.exp
2>E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Public\Engine.h(10): warning : Monolithic headers should not be used by this module. Please change it to explicitly include the headers it needs.
2>[6/8] Link UE4Editor-ST_SparseGrid.lib
2>[7/8] Link UE4Editor-ST_SparseGrid.dll
2> Creating library E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGrid.lib and object E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGrid.exp
2>[8/8] Link UE4Editor-ST_SparseGridEditor.dll
2> Creating library E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGridEditor.suppressed.lib and object E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGridEditor.suppressed.exp
2> Creating library E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGrid.suppressed.lib and object E:\UnrealEngineSource\Engine\Plugins\ST_SparseGrid\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ST_SparseGrid.suppressed.exp
2>Deploying UE4Editor Win64 Developmentā€¦

Huhā€¦ thatā€™s interesting. Might be a new thing coming in 4.20.

Iā€™m fairly sure I needed to get to GEngine which is (currently at least) declared in engine.h. Maybe itā€™s been moved for 4.20, Iā€™ll have to look at that when 4.20 comes out Iā€™m sure.

I donā€™t know if youā€™re still having this issue, but to fix it, you can change the include to ā€œEngine/Engine.hā€

Iā€™ve just learned this one recently - there are two Engine.h headers as it turns out, one is the huge monolithic one and the other is one used by the IWYU system. When I update the plugin for 4.20, Iā€™ll backwards-fix that issue as well.

So how do you actually use it? The documentation is a good step but it still needs a ā€˜how to setup/useā€™ section.

I made a grid, I put the component on an object, I made it query with a sphere when you press a key, however the object itā€™s querying is always returned even when it shouldnā€™t be and thereā€™s no information on why it would do that.

The sphere has a radius of 100, and Iā€™m very far from the object, Iā€™m debugging the sphere andā€¦ very far from the object. Why is it being returned?

Oh my badā€¦ Iā€™m not sure how I managed to skip that part of the docs. Iā€™ll update the docs today and add some more information.

The setup should be simple, add a grid to the world in the Grid Editor mode, then set the properties so that the cells cover the entire playable area of the world. Then add the Grid Component to an actor and you should be good to go. The Grid Component uses the actors Root Component to find itā€™s location.

Can you post a screenshot of the world itself, and the test scenario? Query Grid [Sphere] should function in a similar fashion to a Sphere Overlap test.

Tried to recreate the issue in another project since this ones under NDA and it would show too much but it worked in my other project. Iā€™ll have a play and get back to you if Iā€™m really stuck.

Edit: Just me being an idiot, the item equipped to the character was registering - didnā€™t even realize it was still there.

Now thereā€™s another issue. I have items (the base class has the component) Iā€™m standing right on top of, and they donā€™t register. Then I walk to another side of the item and they register. Iā€™m doing a sphere query based on GetActorLocation of the player character. The green debug sphere is completely overlapping them and not registering them based on where Iā€™m standing for some strange reason (perhaps something to do with whether the trace location is within the cell or not). Is this system really inaccurate compared to a sweep?

Something certainly sounds off there, but without being able to look at the setup itā€™s hard to diagnose the issue. I assume that the items themselves are actors which have the Grid Component right?

One thing to bear in mind is that the queries are location-based, not collision-based. Unless the world-space location of the object is inside the query sphere, it wonā€™t be counted. Iā€™m going to update the documentation with some images to explain this a little more clearly. (Working on some better docs as we speak)

ā€œI assume that the items themselves are actors which have the Grid Component right?ā€ - Absolutely

Soā€¦ itā€™s really odd. I was moving some stuff around in the level, and it was working properly. Moved it around again and it wasnā€™t. Tried it with a regular actor BP (with component added) and worked fine again, then found it was also working fine for items andā€¦ well, Iā€™m just a bit confused. It seems that at times it can misread a location, is it possible that some sort of cache isnā€™t updating?

There are times I can be standing right next to an item when it feels like not working properly, and the query wont get it. Currently itā€™s working properly, figure Iā€™ll just proceed with integration and find the issue if it arises.

It shouldnā€™t be, the grid is updated every frame and uses the current Unreal World Position (needed to be as plug-and-play as possible).

If you manage to find a repeating issue though do get back to me. Iā€™ve been using it in my own projects for quite some time without issue (though I did beef up the functionality for the marketplace version, so perhaps something got missed). Iā€™ll be opening up a Discord group soon to get a bit more realtime feedback.

The 4.20 version has finally been submitted, so we should be up-to-date soon. Iā€™ll be making some bigger changes in future versions to make the grid a little more flexible, and open up room for different grid types.

The ā€œNumber of Cellsā€ is capped at 192 and cell size at 16,000. Canā€™t even begin to encompass our world with the grid. Think you can remove the clamps? Or is there a reason theyā€™re there? The auto fit can exceed them but if I try and adjust it just gets clamped again.

Also think you could add this C++ function? I noticed the doc C++ is marked TODO so you might already be planning to

template<class T>
    FORCEINLINE static TArray<T*> GetOwners(const TArray<UST_SGComponent*>& GridComponents)
    {
        TArray<T*> Actors;
        Actors.Reset(GridComponents.Num());

for (const UST_SGComponent* ComponentItr : GridComponents)
        {
            if (T* CastActor = Cast<T>(ComponentItr->GetOwner()))
            {
                Actors.Add(CastActor);
            }
        }

return Actors;
    }

Going to pick this up Wednesday. :slight_smile:

Initially those clamps were added to retain sensible sizes, but since the Kite Demo can get up to 100km in each direction (and grid supports up to 30km at the moment) I will probably remove those. There are no ill-effects to removing the clamps for gameplay, but as the grid size gets larger the engine will start to tank when drawing debug information (and the heatmap will be slower to update as well). I may have to add some manual culling so that it can still be easily debugged!

Interesting that the auto-fit extends thatā€¦ I do mention in the docs that the plugin is designed to be customized, so moving it into your project directory instead of engine directory might be preferable (Marketplace doesnā€™t allow that unfortunately :(). Glad someone is using this now, all the features I initially didnā€™t need can be added in haha