Space Nebula and Starfield Plugin ✧ V1 + V2 + V3 ✧ for UE4

Hey @Gavi101

(i) the Glow is the artificial lighting (+density) to create god-rays, which might be a bit strong sometimes. (Lighting might be changed a bit soon). You can change the lighting properties in the Create Instance ^^
(ii) The pixelization when flying far away is changed with the Resolutions by the distance, there are 3 levels currently (near, mid and far resolution). You find these settings in the Render Instance. Slightly raise the resolution at the desired point in space to make the nebula sharp and clean especially on the distance
(less rays are sent when the nebula is smaller on the screen, so the resolution can be increased)
(iii) I think you can try the settings of the previous version with the 4.20 download? Maybe Schlabb could compile and upload the previous version to UE4.21 and upload it on a drive, but this would also take up some time, so only if you really want to dig into that.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Lee

Thanks @LeeFX

yes pls do, coz i definitely change something that now works, im using 4.19.3 for the project so far, so looking into alt. versions of the UE4 engine may help for future Dev’s so yes pls will you be so kind

im going to try those options you gave and let you know

Hey @Gavi101

Please contact us over our official mail address (on the front page^^), so we can provide you with the version you would like to compare.

Best

Lee

Will do :slight_smile:

oh and found the setting that sorted this issue… took some time and uber loads of luck…lol

ok here goes. the defered decal material domain wasn’t the real work around, it was a SMAAAAAALLLLLLL check box inside > see image included, i thought it was to do eith the material domain, coz i changed a FEW things and trialed everything lol … sowy guys for the misdirection

if you Disable Depth Test, you gain the opaque over translucency solution, all this lol and it a dam check box lolololo:rolleyes:

@LeeFX will do, but it’s working in 4.20 and very well

Gavi101

How can I get the Nebula to not change resolution detail? like bake the resolution and then stay that way for the remainder of the game? like low, medium, high, ultra settings so to speak,

Im getting a problem with the origin shifting method we developed and the GetNebulaResolution Function, if the ship moves to fast the game crashes with this error, see image

looks like the nebula cant keep up with the changes of the origin every tick? I have tried increasing the time it takes for each tick to run the origin update function but no luck

Gavi101

@Gavi101
Thank you for all your effort!
To make the resolution to not change by distance, you have to set the Resolution- Near-, Mid- and Far-Scale to the same value. Set all to 1 to disable the resolution scale for maximum quality.

Regarding the Errors you get: we made the experience that the physics and stuff is crashing somehow when moving to fast or in fact, move to far away from the level-center (around 1.000.000 units). This is causing the player’s controlled pawn to be nothing so the code depending on this is crashing. you are right we should always check if the pawn is valid before using it. but if this is the case, the game is soft-locked anyway. will fix this for 2.146 :smiley:

, Its my pleasure,

thank you I will make those changes and let you know if it worked,

our origin shifting method “should” overcome this limitation however, i have moved very far away from the “actual” center and the origin shifting mechanics updates to the ships location ( new 0,0,0 vector ) every X seconds, so the validation in theory should work for the purpose, its just that render resolution affects in a much deeper level with the engine

This is an awesome item, unfortunately the same can not be said about the “tutorial”. Any chance a proper tutorial (you know, spoken language and such wild perks) will be made anytime soon?

Very cool tool.
The ship in my game sits static at world origin, and the universe’s contents need to move past my ship.
Will the star field and nebulae created continue to behave correctly if I animate their top nodes in order to get the motion through space I need? Thanks.

Greetings,

Great product you’ve created! I just have a question, can your asset be used in a topdown 3D space game? I’m interested to know if it can be used in such a way so that the stars appear, in parallax, under the spaceship as they move in the opposite direction. The stars can move around the ship as well if possible.

Sorry @CGRaygun missed your message somehow. You can always reach us over our official mail address.
do you know a constraint that would prohibit moving the Starfield and the Nebula Rendering continuously? Maybe there could happen some floating point precision issues?

@rosevfx thanks for your feedback. Because we are constantly working on improvements, we are also putting a major focus on the usability. We hope that this facilitates an intuitive usage of the plugin. A new tutorial video would be nice, but it’ll happen when the time seems about right^^

Hello @Sfoxx28, sure you can use it. It depends a lot on the perspective and the scale/distance/movement speed to get the desired visual effect.

However V2 is a defined and finite Nebula structure (masked with as a sphere and so on), while V1 is also a continuous / infinite noise rendering (Nebula and the Starfield as well) and might be better suited for you needs. Also both versions have a different visual look and feel.

Hello everyone,

Let me start off by saying I’m very impressed with the Plug-in. The clouds truly look amazing.

My team is going to use the cloud for a dystopian opera in which one of the characters gets uploaded into “the cloud” by an evil agent who seeks to enter the real world.
We would like to show what’s happening inside the cloud in Realtime. The problem I am facing is the following: whenever i try to include static/skeletal meshes, their outline gets rendered like in the picture I included (jagged lines).

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Kind regards,

Uncanny

Hello @Sequaris ,

can you have a look, if the Resolution Buffer is toggled in the Blueprint?

The buffer decouples the resolution of the nebula and the screen resolution.

Oh and project looks pretty nice and sounds very interesting!
We would like to see and hear more about your project. (Feel free to email us if you like!)

Best

Lee

Ps: It is actually important to note that changes in the Unreal Editor while being in Play-Mode are not persistent!
This can be very confusing sometimes!^^

Hi @LeeFX,

I got the general hang of modifying the clouds and baking them into textures so they get pre-rendered and i don’t need to create a new nebula every time i go into play mode.

The resolution buffer works great for me in normal play mode, but part of the opera will be in virtual reality in real time. Whenever I try to use the resolution buffer with our oculus rift I get a double render target (one for each eye it seems).

Inside the headset i see two separate render targets in each eye. Do you have any idea what is causing this and how to fix this?

I will send you an email with details about the project!

Kind regards,

Uncanny

Hello @Sequaris,

just to make sure ^^ are you seeing 4 images in the headset? Don’t worry, we had the nebula running in VR and this should not be a big of a deal.
Can you write us a short mail for communication?

Lee

@LeeFX
Hi! I have some problems with VR after updating the plugin. I created an empty VR project and added nebula on the scene. In preview everything is alright. When I try VR preview I have the following issue. In left eye I see broken perspective to the nebula, other objects displayed correctly. In right eye I see just horizontal artifacts.

@202_alex

the plugin is still not tested out by us with a vr-headset so we do not have a proof for compatibility. Please check-out the resolution-buffering in the nebula-blueprint’s render-settings. Vr should work better without resolution-buffering, but since this is a feature to gather performance, you should consider r.SeparateTranslucencyScreenPercentage instead.

@202_alex Hello Alex, may I ask, what hardware you are using? We do not have a Vive for testing, though we would like to fix any issues regarding VR. Feel free to reach us over our mail address, so we can try to do some debugging. A screenshot would come in handy too.
Oh and yes, try to disable the Resolution Buffer (you can find it right in the Blueprint under the Rendering category) and see if this fixes the problem (also in this case a short feedback to us is appreciated) and if you need more performance, try to reduce the global screen percentage with r.SeparateTranslucencyScreenPercentage (because the buffer is overridden).
Best,
ThD