Download

Sonic Unreal Worlds Open source UE4 Sonic Engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5LCzSF0CI

This is a Sonic the Hedgehog engine made fully in blueprints. I’ve got the walking up walls and running through loops working but I am having huge problems with high speed collision sensing.
This is open source so you are more than free to use what you want from it. Anything I have in it is gathered from scouring these forums anyway and learning as I went along.
If anyone can help out on the collision sensory, I would be more than grateful.

You try activating “CCD” and “Trace Complex On Move” in your character mesh?

I check in one of my projects that collision with moving objects ins’t reliable (especially fast objects) in UE4 but that can help.

Wow. I turned CCD on my sensors and it actually helped quite a bit. Thanks for that little tip!

I just grabbed this to start tearing it apart, thanks so much for sharing.

I hope you mean tear apart in a good way, haha. If you make any progress or changes to make it better, feel free to share. I think I’m going to set up a github repository soon so we can have community patches (And I can work on integrating it into the main release)

Now committed to Github!

This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

That spinning-noise brings me back :smiley: Amazing work!

Man this is f*ing awesome

Sir, this is truely epic!:eek:

very nicely done, it looks like you’ve got the gameplay mechanics working pretty sweet:cool:

Nicely done! Quite impressive indeed, just one question: Am I the only one who get several crashes with the Unreal Build Tool in 4.6.1?

I hope this will be on the Twitch-stream this evening :slight_smile:

Dude, this is really something else. Good job!

Really awesome!

Toying around with this right now :smiley:

This is awesome! Will there be plans to add tails as a playable character? There’s so much awesomeness and modded sonic action to be had from this! :slight_smile:

Fantastic! I’m glad someone is making this who cares about all the proper details (momentum, plane shifting etc.) rather than just tossing some ring monitors in with a generic platformer controller. I quite like the Super transformation and the modern take on the Sonic 2 particle effect. The springs still look very “sticky” but I assume that’s because they’re WIP and are guiding the player to a specific destination.

This is fantastic work, I am surprised you are not selling it on the Unreal market. There was some talk in another thread about this not being possible without core modification, so it’s cool to see this done 100% in Blueprints.

Big update to the engine. Its now updated to work in 4.7.2
I’ve also put the movement and collision into a loop that solves teleport-into-wall problems.
I wouldn’t think they’d put my little engine on the twitch stream, haha.

good job! :slight_smile: