Sonic Unreal Worlds Open source UE4 Sonic Engine

The left and right sensor seemed to be too large. It caused some abrupt stop during high speed run when going to a small loop. I took the liberty to reduce the left and right sensor scale to 0.4 and bring them 10 uu closer

Impressive and ooooooh those childhood memories :smiley:

I’ve been tweaking the collision a bit (or a lot, maybe)

1. Replaced two sphere sensor into two capsules, which takes turn to detect depending whether the pawn is rolling or not

1. Inserting a failsafe method to detect the last correct coordinates to prevent wall-hacking glitch. Whenever the collision hits, the pawn will immediately teleport back to the last known good location (the distance is not that far, so you won’t even notice it)

To-do list : editing the movement so it will first do a capsule trace for any obstacle before attempting to move the pawn, then will move the pawn to the hit location if occured, but like normal if not. I reckon it’s a much more effective method

1. Switching the event sequence. Check angles occurs first before checking collision. (might not do anything)

1. Heavily overhauls the collision detection. Since it will only be one capsule at a time, a trace for the correct direction is needed. Also adds collision switching. Rolling through a narrow hole is possible

Hopefully it can solve most, if not all the high-speed collision problem. At least now Sonic is ‘tripping’ (abrupt stop on a certain angle when moving fast at low FPS) less. I had to adjust the sensor so it is a bit to the top and tightened it to prevent ‘tripping’

Looking great. Care to add your branch to the github so I can check it out?

I updated the github branch to include the collision changes I made myself. Feel free to check them out.

I didn’t change any of the collision sensors so it would probably benefit if they were changed/updated.

A little request, can you update the one on Google as well? I couldn’t effectively download the package due to weak internet. The one on github doesn’t support resuming on IDM

If you’re still here, May I use the animations and the model?

How do you buy this? cuz im new.

wow, I played it and liked what I saw, but… i’m developing a Sonic Game similar to Lost World 3DS version and i’m having so many issues with Animation. I used your Sonic and the animations with it, but my animations don’t work smoothly, WHY!!! I tried to make a game but I failed again…

Does it work in 3D planes?

Does this work on 3D planes? Cuz I’m trying to make a sonic game as well, but I want to make a 3D one, and all I’m seeing here is 2D

UPDATED.
Reworked entire collision to use floating pawn.

https://github.com/StreakThunderstorm/Sonic-Unreal-Worlds

Project updated to beta 0.2

Pawn reworked to closely follow the Sonic Physics guide on Sonic Retro.
Pawn now uses floating pawn movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Aq01VOS-U

Release Candidate 0.1

This is really great work Streak Thunderstorm! Are you still working on this project? You’ve been a HUGE help to me as I’m making a Sonic fan game.

Also, how were you able to get all the Sonic animations btw?

I did some work using these assets:

That’s really cool work @CaioFelipe ! You’ve got a great “Sonic Lost Worlds” on your hands!

I’m also indebted to these assets. I’ve been working on a game since December '17. Check it out!

Thanks again [USER=“21853”]Streak Thunderstorm[/USER] !!!

Very impressive work, is it possible to port character movement to the third person? I like how it starts moving and reacts to the object curve. I’ve tried to look up in your blueprints but it’s complicated at first glance. Any tips on that?

Very impressive fangame project.

Hello everyone!

First off, sorry for the revive and the bother, if any, but I’m at my wits end.

So… I’m looking to make a “spiritual successor” to a very old game that basically had 1 entry, got sued and disappeared into the void. That game being Uniracers/Unirally (depending on your region). Now, Uniracers and Sonic are not the same or really similar games… but there are a few things that the game does that I have been unable to replicate. At least, using the default Character class and movement that is. Namely: quarter pipes, half pipes, going around loops, “sticking” to the ceiling, etc.

Now, I’m very new to Unreal Engine and Blueprints in general and looking for answers most of what I’ve found boiled down to: 1) Use C++ and alter the default code and functions of Unreal Engine for the default classes, 2) Use Blueprints to remake everything from scratch, or 3) Use a Sonic engine. I’m not knowledgeable enough to do 1 or 2… and for 3, looking at what you have here has me lost and overwhelmed.

If you are still paying attention to this thread/forum, or there’s anyone else here that’s knowledgeable enough with Unreal Engine and/or the Open Source Sonic Engine here, could you please offer me your help to answer questions and help me understand what’s being done?

I’ll spare the questions for how to setup your own Pawn, movement, physics, etc… I’ll try and figure that out myself. The 2 main questions I have are about:

1. Your Snap To Floor function, is it literally only to the “floor” itself (down), or is it what’s responsible for sticking to the insides of the loops or upside down? If it’s only for the floors, what handles sticking to the walls/ceilings?

2. Are the Splines and SwapVolumes setup only to move Sonic along the loop path itself since it moves towards/away from the camera? Since deleting the volumes seems to still have Sonic go around the loops until there’s no more terrain on the same plane.

If you even read this, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!