Song of Horror - An Old-School Inspired, Third Person Survival Horror

We made another video today, to show some updated animations, navigation, lights and locations :).

The UI is not yet at 100% for this, but here is a first sneak peek at the main viewport of our character selection screen, showing our second character, Sophie.

This looks amazing.

Very nice.

Very cool, I will be keeping my eye on this one!

Thank you folks! After a long day’s work and getting home at 1 AM, your comments mean the world to me! :slight_smile:

We finished the modeling process for our third character, Etienne Bertrand. Here is how he looks like in the level for the character selection screen.

675fd448df470fde70e482108099c5bf55b10960.jpeg

Man, there are some creative people with scary streaks in this community :smiley: The sound level change was really nicely thought on trailer :smiley:

Keep it up mate. Seems to be coming along nicely.

Good stuff.

Looks great, the atmosphere is .

Quick question, I’ve been playing around with a similar camera/controller scheme, how have you been controlling the character in relation to the rotation of the camera?

Currently I have been controlling the character based on the camera rotation but get strange when the cameras are switched, it looks like you have a control scheme similar to the classic resident evils with the controls being relative to the character?

Great work, subbed

Thanks everyone!

@Chillybody: our game does not have classical Resident Evil “tank” controls. They do auto adjust in relation to the camera rotation.

Roughly, what I did was the following. With a keyboard, there are eight possible directions you can move in (from -180º to 180º, in 45º intervals). The first step was dividing these 360º into eight 45º regions, each keyboard direction being the center point of one of them (for example, if “forward” is movement with 0º yaw rotation, then its interval would range from -22.5º to 22.5º).

At begin play, we store the initial control rotation forward and right vectors in a couple of variables. These variables will act as the character’s initial forward movement vector and right movement vector. Now, every frame (every time the input axis functions fire) we check whether the horizontal camera forward vector (the camera forward vector minus the Z coordinate) is in the same interval (the same of my custom eight 45º regions) as the current character forward movement vector (also in horizontal, as our game has no Z movement). If it is not, AND the character’s movement is different from that of the last frame (if any of the axis values have changed, we have this check in order to prevent the vector adjustments from messing up the character movement on camera change when the player is moving steadily. The camera only changes when the character moves differently, for example if he stops), then our character forward movement vector becomes the “adjusted” camera forward vector (with “adjusted” I mean that it becomes the center vector of the region its in. For example, if the horizontal camera forward vector rotation is 38º, the adjusted camera forward vector would have a 45º rotation) and the character right vector becomes the adjusted camera right vector.

For a gamepad it’s mostly the same, although with a few variations in the form of tolerance thresholds, to avoid the vectors changing virtually every frame due to the (potentially) infinite directions a joystick can produce.

I think I explained myself atrociously, but I hope it helps.

Well, we made a little homage today, as a concept art in our style, to that mythical game, the first Alone in the Dark :).

dda65c5f43e91671a15c1933467b2c24e7510ff4.jpeg

Updating with our latest screenshots! An in-game collectible document, and Sophie having some “issues” :D.

3fbc8fc5f06ff5b7a1a9ecadf9bf22f4513fb5f0.jpeg

A mini-preview to our upcoming gameplay video, let’s see those materials at work!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LB3VXWTEEj4

Great news! We have released our first serious gameplay video (still early development of course but getting there! :D).

Really enjoying the screenshots and mini vids so far, I love the look of this man, keep us updated :slight_smile:

Loving the atmosphere in the latest video. I anticipate a lot of Let’s Players wetting their pants in the near future.

Thanks! It’s still a long way to an alpha version but we’ll get there :). More is coming just next week!

And as promised, here is our full gameplay video. No more cliffhangers :D. Updating the first post also!!

Working on SpeedTree asset integration plus baked lighting for our upcoming Kickstarter trailer!