Some direction...

I will redo the whole scene to practice… do you guys select a new level by selecting the empty level instead of Default?

Ah, you dont have an issue. I recreated your scene. What you are seeing is actually the directional light called “Light source”. If you add a skylight in your scene, then click the eye infront of “light source” to turn it off, you will see that the streaks goes away. You can also rotate this light and you will see that the direction of the light changes. In the first two images I got the “light source” on and off, and in the last image I have rotated it so the light comes directly in through the opening

This mean, you rock! On to digging into lights now.

cba98fdb240c31d8a7e37b3de0ffabd2bc960736.jpeg

I usually start by the “default” level. You get the basics in there which to me is a good starting point.

Ohhhh! look at this. If I un check “Light Source” the bleeding stops completely. Why would the light source cause this?

JUST FOUND THAT OUT! It was the light source all along! OK… but dont we need the light source or do we have to build the lighting from scratch? Should light source NEVER be used in a interior scene?

Great! If I am correct, those streaks are bounce light. The scene is very simple, so dependent on what direction your light source is, you will find collection of rays in different corners. On straight surfaces the light gets scattered to much so you will not get this effect. As you build out your scene with props and materials, more reflection and bounce lights will start to even out your scene.

Lighting is a big topic. You need to spend time to build your scene and there’s a lot of different elements that goes into it. I would suggest reading through this first and take it from there. Go into the official ue4 youtube channel after that and find the video streams they have on lighting. They will give you a lot of information on the topic.

the unreal engine live lighting stream

**** Kurt! I loaded my original scene and unchecked it and it looks great! No more leaking or collection of light like you said! Its been driving me nuts for 3 days! Well… at least it got me to get familiar with the engine. :slight_smile:

Thank you VERY much in guiding me! I will play with the lights now. THXS THXS THXS!

Awesome! I will dwell into those videos!

here is the original room with light source unchecked. Looks normal!

My god it drove me nuts!

Happy to hear that! Keep it up!

Ok guys, I am dwelling into texturing. I managed to understand it some what. A bit lost on bump map location. Seems like Normal maps are preferred. Thats fine for me but Id like to know how could you control the strength of it. I read and came across a node called “flatten Normal” thats suppose to work. But no clue how to use it. Any idead? And are Bump maps really not usable?

Yes, you replace the bump workflow you got in v-ray etc with normal maps. What you want to get into is how the PBR-workflow works. So a couple of more things here to study for you.

https://www.allegorithmic.com/system/files/software/download/build/PBR_Guide_Vol.1.pdf
https://www.allegorithmic.com/system/files/software/download/build/PBR_volume_02_rev05.pdf

Awesome Kurt… Ill read on them!

Kurt… Here is a good question. When I uv channel 1 and then switch to uv channel 2 and then export it to unreal, my textures dont show. I have to go back to 3ds and unwrap uv channel 1 again and export again and then it shows. Why is that? Wont i loose the uv channel 2 lightmap doing that?

Ok… looks like a work around is to unwrap the light map first (channel 2) and then unwrap (channel 1). is that the correct way? seems to work.

Also… out of curiosity, when I rebuild the lighting… everything goes black. I do have the uv1 and 2 unwrapped. Why does this happen? Also… I can see the textures… just very dark.

hmmm… actually… seems fineat certain cam angles. heres a screenshot. light seems to take longer to brighten up though…

for some reason the server isnt taking the upload screenshot.