[SOLVED] Error MSB3073 (Version 4.26)

I’m trying to build the latest release branch and I’m getting this error:

3> Creating library D:\UE4\UnrealEngine\Engine\Plugins\Importers\USDImporter\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealUSDWrapper\UE4Editor-UnrealUSDWrapper.lib and object D:\UE4\UnrealEngine\Engine\Plugins\Importers\USDImporter\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealUSDWrapper\UE4Editor-UnrealUSDWrapper.exp
3> [3480/4287] Module.Engine.47_of_48.cpp
3>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(46,5): error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6.
3>Done building project "UE4.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 2 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Log file:

ParallelExecutor.ExecuteActions: [3480/4287] Module.Engine.47_of_48.cpp
UnrealBuildTool.Main: CompilationResultException: Error: OtherCompilationError
UnrealBuildTool.Main: at UnrealBuildTool.ActionGraph.ExecuteActions(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, List`1 ActionsToExecute) in D:\UE4\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\System\ActionGraph.cs:line 230
UnrealBuildTool.Main: at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.Build(TargetMakefile] Makefiles, List`1 TargetDescriptors, BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet, BuildOptions Options, FileReference WriteOutdatedActionsFile) in D:\UE4\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Modes\BuildMode.cs:line 483
UnrealBuildTool.Main: at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.Execute(CommandLineArguments Arguments) in D:\UE4\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Modes\BuildMode.cs:line 226
UnrealBuildTool.Main: at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String] ArgumentsArray) in D:\UE4\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 550

I’m using the latest version of Visual Studio 2019 (16.8.4) and I already tried to reinstall it.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 Like

I found this solution:

In my case, I needed to run this command:

Build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild

1 Like

how do you run a command?

1 Like

Use your operating system’s command prompt / terminal.

Although after a while I noticed that this solution isn’t accurate at all. I just kept building the project. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t. I think that it depends on whatever you have running in the background. Try to build the engine after restarting your computer and closing every background application.

You should still try that command, maybe it’ll work for you.

Hey just wanted to say, I personally tried many solutions, in the end it seems like I had to repair both visual studio and Verify my unreal engine version.

Then I was able to build the project solution in C++.
Just saying in case this works with someone else.

If install failed while verifying, restart your PC, then try to verify again. (That’s what happened to me)

i know this doesn’t matter by now but I think i found the solution to this. Whats actually happening is that a plugin that you may not be using is not being built correctly. If you check your log file you will see the unreal error output that gives the the correct error!
UnrealEngine → Engine → Program → UnrealBuildTools

1 Like

мне помогло просто закрыть полностью unreal engine и собрать проект в vs

2 Likes

Close Unreal Editor and Build in Visual Studio.

5 Likes

Probably you need to update some dependencies. Try updating visual studio installation or .net.

If this is happening to you on a UE5 project, and you are using Visual Studio 2019, get Visual Studio 2022. Probably it is because of that.

This can be so many things, in my case I moved one of the .cpp files to a different folder and didn’t realize my IDE copied file, so I had 2 different version of the same file, after deleting the unwanted one, error was gone.

This was a solid point in the right direction for me. Removing a certain plugin I didn’t have from .uproject file and then rebuilding worked for me.