Error MSB3073 building 4.26 caused by extra quotation mark?

I’ve been building from source on 4.26 and I crash in Visual Studio Community 2017 15.9.26 with the following error:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3073: The command “C:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target=“ChaosDestructionDemoEditor Win64 Development -Project=“D:\UnrealProjects\ChaosDestructionDemo\ChaosDestructionDemo.uproject”” -Target=“ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet” -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild” exited with code 6.

When I instead build from cmd prompt and remove the quotation mark after -Quiet I get a successful build.

Build.bat -Target=“ChaosDestructionDemoEditor Win64 Development -Project=“D:\UnrealProjects\ChaosDestructionDemo\ChaosDestructionDemo.uproject”” -Target=“ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild”

Then I can return to Visual Studio and run from there again. I’ve seen other people have this issue in some forums. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip – however I had to not just remove the quotation mark after -Quiet, but move it back one word to enclose the entire “ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development”, so my final command line was:

build.bat -Target=“UE4Editor Win64 Development” -Target=“ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development” -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild

Hope this helps!

I almost have the exact same issue when trying to build from source. I get exit code 255. I can build the engine but cannot build any c++ project from VS or Rider. How do you build from cmd and make sure the quotation mark is removed? Do you need to do this every time when you want to build? I’m not good with terminals.

I need to know as well. This error has stopped all progress and I’m about to have to just start over probably. Thanks anyone who can explain how to do this in the command prompt to remove these errors.

Sorry, it’s been a while, but to the best of my recollection you can just use the traditional Windows 10 Command Prompt to run the batch file manually (I don’t know how to fix batch command that is generated by Visual Studio).

I did it manually like this:

1. Using File Explorer, navigate to the folder where your Build.bat file is located. In the OP’s example, this is C:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Build\BatchFiles – but will vary depending on where you cloned the GitHub repo.

2. Open a Command Prompt at this location by clicking the location bar in File Explorer and entering cmd and pressing enter – example here: https://www.itechtics.com/open-command-window-folder/#Using_CMD_command_in_File_Explorer_to_open_Command_Prompt_Window

This should open a Command Prompt window, with the currently active directory matching the folder you found in File Explorer.

1. Select this entire command, right click, and copy (might wrap onto more than one line, but it will be a single command when you paste):

build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development" -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild

1. Back in your Command Prompt, hit Alt+Space (or click the little C:\ icon at the top-left corner of the window), go to Edit, and click Paste. Then hit Enter to run the command.

Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve built 4.25 successfully before.Then i changed some source code and it comes to this problem.
I remove the quotation and build from cmd prompt but still have some problem,in cmd show this:

I:\Tools\UnrealEngine\Engine\Build\BatchFiles>Build.bat -Target=“UE4Editor Win64 Development” -Target=“ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild”
Using ‘git status’ to determine working set for adaptive non-unity build (I:\Tools\UnrealEngine).
Waiting for ‘git status’ command to complete
Creating makefile for ShaderCompileWorker (command line arguments changed)
Building UE4Editor and ShaderCompileWorker…
Using Visual Studio 2017 14.16.27045 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023) and Windows 10.0.19041.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
[Adaptive unity build] Excluded from Engine unity file: CharacterMovementComponent.cpp, SceneComponent.cpp
Building 5 actions with 16 processes…
[1/5] dte80a.tlh

It only build one action. Then I find c++ - Cannot compile unreal engine 4.25 with visual studio 2019.7.2 - Stack Overflow
Just delete directory “Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\VisualStudioDTE” and rebuild from VS. It build successfully.

6 Likes

Its strange that I met the same error when I was building project in compony.After a long time suffer I try to commit my change and reverst the code,then I found I cant access to my compony’s git repository,something wrong with my network(still can use the internet).After I fixed that and pushed my commit.that error,MSB7073 has gone,I dont know why and is that any relationship between git and the project,but maybe this will help somebody like me.

1 Like

"Just delete directory “Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\VisualStudioDTE” and rebuild from VS. It build successfully. "
That fixed it for me, thank you !

2 Likes

If anyone else here is using UE5, as I am, to fix this (and somehow this took me a while to figure out), take the command build.bat -Target="UE4Editor Win64 Development" -Target="ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development" -Quiet -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild and replace UE4Editor with UnrealEditor. I feel like this should have been obvious, but maybe it will save someone else the trouble.

4 Likes

It gives me such an error. Can you help.

2 Likes

We have the same issue here. But for UE 4.26.2

Just delete directory “Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\VisualStudioDTE” and rebuild from VS. It build successfully.

I love you. This should be marked as the solution

3 Likes

Thanks!
It’s help me with UE 4.27.1 and Visual Studio 2022

1 Like

This is effective for me with vs2019 and ue4.26. Thank you very much.

Will try this.

Why is does Visual Studio run with a extra quotation mark? Is there a way to change that.

1 Like

Same problem, Works for me, I’m using vs2022 now(vs2019 previously).

Firstly I tried to compile UE5 with incredibuild, this error occurred. Later, compiled with vs, everything was okay again.

I’m having this issue wwith UE5.03 does anyone know what could fix this for me ?

1 Like

Try close the project and compile it from IDE. If i was understood right, UE need reboot every compile.

This is not a solution in 2022 with UE5, the folders are renamed differently and there is no visual studio folder.

Any solutions??

2 Likes