Solaris and MaterialX support in 5.3

Any USD experts here?
Confused by which options to use if using MaterialX.
In particular Render Context and Material purpose.
Under Render Context to Import there are 4 options
universal
unreal (default)
mtlx
mdl
Since I am using MaterialX I would assume mtlx is correct but I seem to get better material results leaving it at default
And Material purpose options are
allPurpose
preview (default)
full

Hello, if you use MaterialX then picking mtlx as render context is the way to go, in that case UE imports the mtlx file directly and that should give you the best results. For that your MaterialX should be on the side and referenced by the USD and not “Flattened” inside the USD.

Can we get the USD file + materialX + texture and some screenshot of the issue to try to reproduce?

Thanks for the reply!
Am using Solaris to render out my USD files and have MaterialX Standard Surface shaders defined and applied to my geometry.
So just to confirm in 5.3 you are saying there is full USD MaterialX support?

I have only been able to get either universal (baked) or unreal Render Context to work correctly.

Will try again and share my results.

The support of USD MaterialX is new in 5.3, and MaterialX support is itself quite new in UE too: i.e. we do not yet support all the nodes in MaterialX Standard Surface shader.

Thanks!
Could you confirm whether there is support for Normal and Height map textures on MaterialX import?
What seems to be happening whether I render with MtlX Standard Surface or USD Preview Surface shaders from Solaris is that my height and normal maps always get ignored.
The attached images should make this clear.

Also within Unreal(5.3) Render Context of either Universal or Unreal seem to work for me.

Did you switch the render context to mtlx on the stage actor before importing the USD?

Could you share the USD sample and associated file for us to try reproduce the bug?

Hello, I just discovered this topic and I have similar questions. Just installed UE5.3 and now trying to export my USD from Houdini in the right way, so I get also the mtlx materials.
So far the material stays black in UE. I used the context tip, but it’s still black. The mtlx material is still inside the USD though and not “on the side and referenced by the USD”. I’m not sure how you mean it. Could you make a short example of the process how to get the material right?
Thanks a lot so far for the answers. Glad that you help us.

Cheers

*I can’t attach files, since I just registered.

1 Like

I have the same issue. even though I set it up like that, you wrote, the shader is just brownish

Really hoping someone found a solution.

Thanks

Do you have a sample to share?

Yes, not sure how to pack it down and send it, do i just pack down the hole project or?

I am more intersted in the USD files + materialX files. You can zip them and put them in a private message to me.

I do not need the full USD model, just the part that uses the MaterialX and makes the brownish shader.

I have the same issue when transfering USD files created in Solaris to UE (version 5.3.2 and 5.4.1).

I couldn’t find answer for it anywhere. I’ve uploaded a test object here: chairWood_01 - Google Drive