Solar System Simulator - WIP

I would love to see a simulator with real distance, I know there will be a huge empty gap, but would be awesome to have real image of space between planets in the solar system =)

Beautiful UI !!

I have a question : what the Start Mission will actually do ?

I suggest something like  - you could create the ground of the planets, by using terrain generators.

I don't know if you have seen Cosmos : A Spacetime Odissey doccumentaries. 

Pressing the start mission button could display a spaceship travelling, the camera following its path trough time and space. Actually, starting a mission would let you know how that planet was formed, and how is its surface.

Nice work :slight_smile:

Hello :slight_smile:

Cosmos and How the Universe Works were my inspirations for project :smiley:

I liked your idea, it can be really cool have a controllable ship!
There are no missions done so far, At first, what I was thinking is something like NASA missions, such as satellite data readings / photo shooting and planets explorations. It will be like simulate a real NASA mission (unmanned).

Nice work. I have seen in some videos there are two icons on HUD one is for laptop and one is similar to iPhone, Have you tested your build on iOS or android ?

I tried but my pc isn’t recognizing android devices, and ios must be enrolled in their dev program which costs $99/year. I tested inside the engine (run for mobile). Only the HUD and Sun were ok, planets were totally black due material settings. Need to adapt the materials and particles settings for mobiles.

I have tried android build for your project on Samsung Note 8000 with ETC1 texture. It has 894MB size runs on 4Fps (average). As I used ETC1 texture format for build there were no alpha texture in final apk file. I tried to optimise it but I didn’t get proper solution.

@brunogbrito:
Great work so far :slight_smile:

@ Sarfios:

I built a real scale model of the solar system about a year and a half ago using the Unreal Engine 3 to simulate kepler’s laws over billions of years.
Here are a few screen shots if you would like to see what a real scale model of the solar system looks like within a game engine. The graphics aren’t great as was for simulation of orbit paths traveling incredible distances.

http://i60.tinypic.com/nmkaa1.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/mn0ps6.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/fjkk5j.jpg

Noob Question

I’m new to Unreal and Blueprints, and I’m having trouble understanding how your “Press Space” setup works in the Observer blueprint.

How does the Do Once node fire and how is the VInterp completing?
As I understood it, the Do Once does as it says, runs once, yet I thought you had to run the VInterp multiple times via Event Tick or something for it to achieve it’s destination over time?

Hello KWS,

I’m sorry my long delay, didn’t receive the notification msg about . You probably have figured out already I guess. If you dont here is the thing: I didn’t need to use tick since we are getting “get world delta seconds” into VInterp delta time, is the time reference that the function need to work properly without having tick enabled the entire time.

I hoe I helped a bit :slight_smile:

Hugs

For you can use the DoOnce but you have to reset it. Putting the bool for space will not work (I don’t think). For do once if it starts open will fire once no mater how many inputs it gets until it is reset. You can reset it when space is released or when your Vinterp is complete. I hope helps and that Im not completely wrong.

Thanks for sharing, sure I’ll take a good look, I’m trying to run it in ue4 4.10 and see what happends.

Sorry, but I still don’t understand how any of code runs at all with a disconnected Execution pin on the DoOnce node. as far as I can tell, the only thing happening here is a bool var being set to true when pressing space, and a lot of disconnected nodes doing nothing.

What Sorcery is ?

Are you available to talk about ?

I think is great and I was looking for something else when I ran into .
I was wondering if you could help me or I could hire you for a couple small projects that won’t take a lot of time.
I’m working with a company who has designed a new autostereoscopic screen and I need to get some demo content running in UE4 to work with the new tegra processors.
After I do proof of concept we will be making a few apps and I can pay for your help on those too.
Please email me or DM me or whatever works.

Thank you!

Hello! I hope you see but I love your project so far. I’m currently working on creating a car modulator and was hoping you could give me some guidelines or help on creating that camera and controls you have in your project. I created a forum post here Create A Camera That Rotates Around A Mesh / Selected Mesh - Blueprint - Epic Developer Community Forums but thought I should post here as well to see if you have any thoughts on how I should approach for someone who is new to UE4’s blueprints. Thanks!

is absolutely brilliant.

I’m sorry the long delay I had unsubscribed post and got outdated. If anyone want to ask our talk about project email me at brunogbrito@gmail.com