Sockets imported from FBX are in the wrong place

I’m working on a driving game in UE 4.15, and I’m having some issues when importing a car model. I’m using 3DS Max 2017 to export the car model into FBX format, and I’m trying to import that into UE4. The model has 4 sockets that specify the position of the wheels. These are “dummy objects” in 3DS Max, with the SOCKET_ prefix in their name, and all 4 of them are parented to the car model, as they should be.

The problem is that the positions of these sockets is somehow offset by a few centimeters when importing the model into UE4. Here are some GIFs demonstrating the problem:

As you can see, the sockets are perfectly centered in 3DS Max (both in absolute terms and relative to the car model as well), but after importing the model into UE4, the sockets are misplaced. Interestingly, the Y and Z positions remain intact, but the sockets are offset by a few centimeters in the positive X direction, which is extremely strange.

Just as a sanity check to make sure that 3DS Max exports the correct positions into the FBX, I re-imported the FBX into 3DS Max, and the dummy objects are in the correct position, so I know that the FBX file has them in the right place. Something is clearly going wrong whem I’m importing the file into UE4.

I tried looking up the issue online, but I couldn’t find any solutions that would fit my case.

Any ideas?

I have the exact same problem :confused: did you find a solution?

No solution yet. I just entered the correct positions by hand for now.

Make sure to apply a Reset Xform transform, then reimport the mesh. Btw the reset Xform resolve a lot of common issues.

Reset x form helped me