So what did brought you to game development (and UE4)?

Hi there. As everybody seems to love games from all kinds of sorts, it’s actually stunning that not every gamer is a game developer.
So I wondered, what did make us move to game development?

For me the main reason is: It’s a collection of all my primary hobbies, I love the modelling, texturing, sound design, thinking free and creative and to create/manifest what comes to mind.
Of course, some things doesn’t fit in the frame of a project, so they get shelved for when the ideas become usable. The backup reason is because I really start to hate my current day-job (in the IT support). I hope to become able (this year) to make a 180 degree turn from my current daytime job to become full-time gamedev.

Game development sets me free on many levels, spiritual, creative and a escape from the daily rut.
Plus: It’s the best excuse to waste time with gaming (“It’s research! :D”)

I have been playing video games all my life and what got me interested is after playing so many games I wondered how did they make not just the levels but the cinematics and certain things happen on certain times. And I began looking for engines and started with UDK (UE3) and once I heard about UE4 I couldn’t wait to begin using it. And now its just to much fun for me. I enjoy creating levels and effects and modeling. Its relaxing and fun. I plan on working as a level designer in the future. I like being able to create worlds that just come to mind.

I’ve always been interested since a very young age in how games were made. Whether it’s environments, or characters - I wanted to break down how they were created and then use what I learned make my own. (This was back in the days of N64). I was intrigued by the UT games, and Epic Game’s awesome community of developers and modders. The Unreal Engine, whether you’re talking about UE4 or any of the prior versions, makes it easy for you to create awesome works. That was very appealing to me. I am humbled to be able to work in this engine and within the greatest developer community out there. =)

I started with video editing and at one point I thought “Hmm, how do I get a 3d object into after effects?” - I searched on google and found blender - saw a “game engine tab” - searched on google for “game engine” - found the Unreal Engine 3 - baaaaaammm, I started with game dev :smiley:

I’ve been interested in PC games since the late 90’s. I’m taking a course on udemy for A+ certification. I saw a course for game design and did a little research. I then downloaded UE4 and other required software.

I’m more interested in game mods. Game development would be more of a hobby.

I never followed a training course for UE4 (or game development for that matter) but i’m interested in it to get more knowledge and skills. Currently all I know is self learned on a need basis. If I would apply for a job application in the Game Industry, no one will hire me because of this. But I see that most courses are aimed for Unity5 or something different. But it also seems that to have the best chances or opportunities, you need to live either in the USA or Japan (where the game industry seems to be more prominent then i.e. the Netherlands).

It’s amazing to see that in general we all share the same story to get where we are now. The need to dissect something, see how it works, put it back together and try to replicate it. Or try to create something which is mainly in your mind at first!

Around 1.600 companies are making (mainstream) games in USA; that is simply a too tiny market capacity for a multi-billion industry. They can’t fit everybody willing to work on video games, still I don’t what they do with all that monies, there’s currency there for a lot more jobs then that.
And worse, companies are pretty much enemies with each other, they are always trying to take from each other the most experienced and track-proven professionals; an industry is stronger when its players cooperate instead of killing one another.
It’s too hard to enter this market, you really must start very very low; in QA junior and lower. But must enter QUICK, if you are past 25 and still didn’t work in any AAA titles, it’s a sad reality for you.
There’s millions of ppl wanting to work in video games, because it’s their dream job (until they finally do it for 2 years, get burned and run away) and companies know that. Because of supply, is too hard for ‘aliens’ to get a job in USA. Even harder in Japan.
So even if you live in USA or Japan, you barely have the chance to apply and receive call and job interview.

I had a close chance of working in Japan, I should’ve been working on Dark Souls and Bloodborne right now… But I’m not fluent japanese speaker and when I was sooo close, that was an ultimate show stopper for me :wink:
The team said “-I don’t want to have to talk in english with him, he either understands everything japanese or miscommunication will be a problem. Let’s try somebody else…”
(they really don’t like to talk in english there although they can and understand clearly what you say)
So after a while everything went downhill and I now have bad memories of thinking about working overseas. I wish you are more lucky than me.
If workforce supply wasn’t so big, I would’ve landed the dream job… Go figure.

@OP
I don’t know anymore, I’ve been doing this s**t since 2001 and just like a lot of ppl out there I have nothing better to do…

was an electronic musician and working in a music venue in uk and very happy until i met a french girl and moved to france. the french were scared of my music or something so i never got to play live any more, which gave me no real incentive to continue with it.

then i found udk, having been interested in and actively programming since a kid (zx spectrum era) i thought i would have another go at making games. a few years later i had made a few games of my own and done lots and lots of freelance game programming, made some good contacts and good money ect. things were looking up again.
then came that dream job(s), that i nearly but not quite got.
then came the death of udk and the end of any freelance work and ue3 related job offers.

a few months of beta ue4 and epic had hooked me in again. getting on for a couple of years later and tbh ue4 still sucks big time, i should have gone straight to unity.
maybe i should be a philosopher next.

For me it started when I purchased Unreal Tournament 2003, and then 2004. It came with Maya PLE so I started modeling so that I can import my own objects and characters into the levels I made in Unreal tournament.

I didn’t do much game development until UDK came out, which is when I learned Unreal script so that I can actually make a functional game. I started working on a game with some friends at my University, and the rest is history. We ported our game to UE4(after the beta) once it came out and have been continuing since!

Maya PLE… It’s where I started as well. When it was Alias Maya, many years before Autodesk buying them out.
I’ve learned from a magazine interview that Final Fantasy X devs used Maya to model the game world, characters and CGI cinematics; then I got myself trying to model Yuna in Maya like I knew what I was doing haha. Good memories.
I knew that there was that UT exporter thing in PLE, but I had no interest in anything but japanese games back then and never tried UT modding.

Yeah they used Actor X, I wasn’t any good at human modeling so I always just modeled robots… haha.

Boredom.

Now I’ve gone career.

Hacking games on old Atari 800xl, learning what those DEADCAFE numbers are, learning asm for 6502. Then realizing i can do better code.
Doing maps for DOOM then unreal is my very old hobby. Recently i started coding for unreal.

It’s fun to be creative and UE4 is a perfect tool to combine 2D and 3D and make something out of it.
I got sticked to UE4, because of the pulsating nodes.
They helped me really to see, what is going on and bringing things to life, how i ever wanted it.

Oh man I remember my Maya PLE days too. Feels like so long ago.

I got started by using software called Gamemaker, if anyone remembers it. Around version 3.0 - 5.0 is when I used it most.

I was always interested in making games but using that software made me understand three aspects of gamemaking - programming, art design, and level/game design. And to this day I credit my ability to do any of those things with Gamemaker. Because although it was very simple back in the day, it taught me a good workflow, and I’ve used those techniques ever since :smiley:

The node system is a true gift indeed, making life a lot easier for the non-coders like me. It brings understanding of the flow and gives a nice overview on whats going on!

The OP’s post title sounds like “Ask not what Unreal Engine can do for you, but what you can do for Unreal Engine!” :slight_smile:

To answer the OP’s question, I am interested in game development because I got jealous looking at the indie game explosion. That and because I saw Orbitor* for the first time a few years back and discovered Unity3D. Of course, now UE4 has “the look”.

*://store.steampowered/app/336220

Exactly the same here :slight_smile:

CS 1.6 brought me to it.

I played CS, then I played fy_pool_day. Then I started making levels for CS. Then UT3 came out, I made levels for UT3, and then UDK came out and at that point I started making games.