Smooth FOV zooming on first person

Hey guys…I’m trying to get a slight zoom set to ether a keypress or mouse click that when held increases FOV by 10-20 or so, and than reverses when released. I have figured out how to do it, but when i do it is just an instant change, I want it to smoothly go between different FOV’s.
I thought maybe Finterp or something but have been unsuccessful. Any help would be greatly appreciated…cheers

Aaron - Antisocial Games

show your Finterp attepts

Yeah…that about the best i can figure but i am sure I am still doing something right…

I feel like the problem lies somehow it the fact it is firing the event once, and not responding like a tick for being held down, like i want it to smoothly zoom when held and return to normal when released. Not quite sure what i am missing

Hey I figured out a way, I had to make it run every tick, that was my problem. Thanks for you help anyway, my blue print are sloppy, as you can see, if you have any better way I am also more than open to it…but thanks again.

Can’t you just plug the two bool sets into the the two FOV sets, instead of calling it every tick? This seems to work for me.

@Shepherd47 - Did you ever refine this? If so could I see the BP please? Not having much look trawling through google looking for something like this. Thanks.

I feel like this may not the the best method, but I wanted to contribute. Basically this uses two lerp functions on every tick depending on the zooming bool. I’d love to hear feedback on how to clean it up. I mean it works just fine, but it doesn’t look pretty.

I forgot to mention, but “Right Mouse Button” has to be defined in the input manager.

I know this question is basically necroed, but I thought this might help.
It’s deceptively simple, but it does what is asked. I simply set up a 2 point float track in the timeline and it did the trick.

1 Like

well now that your comment is necro’d, just wanted to necro again to say thanks!
I already had my code working with finterp but never thought to use a timeline. Thanks a lot, timelines are new to me and its like a whole new realm of possibilities opened to me. You know, when you think you know a function but then it really clicks?
Thanks a lot!

I will go ahead and answer another way in case anyone stumbles on this. Best way I found to do this is to create a camera on the weapon itself, then on zoom in your player bp, just use the Set View Target with Blend node and go from the player character to the weapon itself. This way, you can set the FOV of that camera separate from the player camera, relocate and resize, and edit settings such as Distance Blur for the zoom cam where one camera may have different effects from the others. This way, you can also have a different zoom, FOV, blur, and etc… for each weapon.

I will go ahead and answer another way in case anyone stumbles on this. Best way I found to do this is to create a camera on the weapon itself, then on zoom in your player bp, just use the Set View Target with Blend node and go from the player character to the weapon itself. This way, you can set the FOV of that camera separate from the player camera, relocate and resize, and edit settings such as Distance Blur for the zoom cam where one camera may have different effects from the others. This way, you can also have a different zoom, FOV, blur, and etc… for each weapon.