Skylight Shadows Fading Out at Edge of Screen

Hi all, I am trying to fix a problem with my skylight that doesn’t seem to have any answers out there, no matter how much I search Google and the forums… so I thought I’d post here.

I am including a video link to show the issue since it’s far easier to show it than to try and explain it. Basically, the darker shadows that occur when the skylight is enabled are fading and disappearing when near the edge of the screen. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here? It’s so ugly looking I feel I need to fix this before continuing any further in my prototype development.

I’m using UE4 4.27.1 - Thanks!

Link to show issue: Skylight Screen Edge Problem - YouTube

That’s interesting… looks like it might be mesh culling though I’m not sure why that would affect the distance field AO.

If this isn’t just one big mesh, you might try increasing the bounds radius of the meshes inside the tunnel

Hi Arkiras,

Thank you for the idea… and I have to admit that was a good thing to check that I hadn’t yet. Unfortunately, that didn’t seem to make any difference. I pushed the Bounds Scale value for all of the geometry that should be producing any shadow in that region at all up to 10.0. However, it seems that there is no difference.

If there’s something else to check in this area that I’m just not thinking of, please let me know. I appreciate this, it’s been a strange and elusive problem for me to solve so far.

Another item of note: If you look at around the 6 or 7 second point of the video, you can see that the shadows are also fading out underneath the tree in the same way as in the doorway. Maybe it’s another clue?

Are you using SSGI by chance?

Also do you have this issue in the editor viewport or just in game?

Ahhh… it was SSGI being on that caused this, apparently. When I disable SSGI, it turns off the dark shadowing and keeps a consistent shadow underneath the doorways. So thank you so much, Arkiras, for helping me find that!

Now I’m sad that I have lost my pretty dark shadows in the doorways. I will figure out some other solution, it just seemed too easy with the SSGI on. :slight_smile:

is it doable to extend the SSGI effect beyond the camera view?

Hi presto423, I really wish I could find a way to extend the SSGI effect beyond the camera view. I have been through the settings time and time again and cannot find any details about that on Google. If anyone knows of a way to extend SSGI beyond the camera view, that would be the solution I’m looking for.

FYI, I created another forum post (Is there a way to extend the SSGI effect beyond the camera view?) to deal with the question of SSGI effects extending beyond the camera view… I thought it would be appropriate since the main question on this thread has been resolved. Thank you all!