SkyLight leaks into translucent materials in fully enclosed room when using Lumen

The issue looks like this:

I’m using Sun and Shadow for sky. All lumen-related features are enabled both in project settings and in post processing (though even hiding post processing volume doesn’t fix issue).

Specifically, changing translucency between Raster and Ray Traced doesn’t change sky light flood. However, path tracer rendering method works fine.

Changing sky light method from realtime capture to scene capture also doesn’t help.

Map on image is Epic’s ArchViz demo with minimal changes (removed most of the lighting sources and disabled emissive materials and moved meshes into my own testing level with aforementioned sky set up). For a few wall posters I’ve replaced glass material to default from starter content, which looks different in raster mode but nonetheless still reflects sky.

For better demonstration I’ve blocked all outside light with large scaled cubes, but the issue is very noticeable even with windows open.

I understand that the issue can be avoided by disabling sky light when camera is inside, but I was hoping to get natural raytraced sunlight through windows instead of using fake window rect lights like in original archviz demo.

1 Like

I had the same issue with a blood effect about an hour ago. I’m not sure if there’s an easier or better method, but I raised the roughness a bit of my translucent material and removed the first albedo instance I had for it. It worked and I still had the effect I wanted

Same issue here. Solution above didn’t work for me. Translucent glass is skylight-tinted+overbright for no reason.

3 Likes

While I can’t speak explicitly to why that is happening, I have a feeling that it will be largely fixed by 5.1. Besides translucency now perfectly supporting lumen reflections, sky lighting was just overhauled to remove the usage of cone traces, which were causing light-leaking artifacts and strange pipeline behavior. RT translucency will most likely continue to be strange however, as it does have a noticeable set of quirks with regards to lumen.

Hello!

The solution to the problem may be solved by turning off the “affect trnaslucent lightning” of the skylight light

Hope this helps!

@AngelBieliukas
Thanks for reply! This setting is turned off in both skylight and directional light. Still I get bluish translucent windows, glass, etc. And if I try to get rid of skylight, translucent refraction just turn to black!

I also have the same problem using the same sun positioning and HDRI background plugin. My translucent materials emit light for some reason. I tried the ‘affect translucent lighting’ option but that didn’t work for me. Did you perhaps already found a solution?

Hey mate, I did not. I had to compose 2 sequences into one, masking glass objects and color correcting them.
Here’s the result: Unreal Engine 5.0 Lumen test project | 4K@60fps - YouTube

One pass was with translucent refraction AND skylight realtime capture turned off, the other with transl refractions turned off and normal skylight.
So turning off realtime capture for skylight seems to get rid of blue glass bug, but you get all drawbacks of not capturing skylight real time (see black window glass and lack of skylight reflections).

Have anyone found a solution for this behaviour? Having the same Problem

I have this problem too. I am using a translucent material because I wanted the dirt on my bottles to have different opacity values, but my sky light makes the dirt lit like if the walls weren’t even there. If I toggle my skylight off, my bottle reacts as they should, but I really wanted a skylight in my scene. I’ve tried all of the solutions above and a couple more on my end but didn’t find anything to make it better. If I really have to, I will place some lights to fake a skylight, but I don’t know if it will turn out as good…

Here’s three screenshots (one with and one without skylight, and another one with a rect light) :