Sky Atmosphere VR Rendering

Hi everyone!

If I make a new scene with a directional light set as an atmosphere light with movable lights. casting shadows. Then drop in a Sky Atmosphere, then give the scene some Mie scattering, a decently foggy value, but still have it so the sun can shine through. Angle the direct light so the light shines through and hits distant objects. In the VR preview, you will see that the lighting is NOT the same in each eye! Distant illuminated objects in the sky atmosphere are lit and glowing in one eye, but totally covered in our fog in the other! Why is this happening? But here’s the kicker: I dont see this in the editor, only the built version of my game! Why is this happening? Is there a value I need to tweak? Why doesnt it render as expected through a headset?

Thanks to anyone who helps me figure this out :slight_smile:

Same here! I suppose this is a bug?! Do you know if someone has reported this as a bug? I am using 4.25, but I think I have tested it in 4.26 and 4.27 also… but maybe not the final new/final versions. Maybe we should contact Epic directly, either report as a bug, or ask them why this is so. What do you think?

i think we should, I cant imagine why it’d happen. you’d think itd be ready to work for VR out of the box…how do we report it as a bug? Seems to have been a problem for years!

I think this has been a problem for years. My solution has been so far to stick with the old system, but the plan has always been to use sky atmosphere when the issue would be resolved. Since I have had so many other things to concentrate on I assumed this would be fixed without being proactive, but that may have been wrong approach:)

One thing I think is kind off strange is if developers working with virtual production would also just stick with the old solution. It seems like a perfect match to have this new sky atmosphere in their projects. So I have wondered if its something I have turned on or not that is creating the issue. Have you heard about anyone actually using the sky atmosphere in VR, not having the issue?

I searched in the Bug tracker and couldnt find a issue about this there. It may be there anyway, maybe I didnt search best keywords?

The best approach: Maybe I can try to talk to somebody in Epic(if its possible to get in direct contact??), somebody also interesting in VR/ virtual production.(evangelist or something:)) I am also a bit interested in the water system, this does not work for me (performance issues). I think this still is experimental, so that may be the reason. Is Sky Atmosphere still experimental? Is there one place/table that can be checked to find if its experimental or not. I tried to search the docs but didn’t find if so at my first try.
Then if the correct approach is reporting a bug I could do this.

If somebody else have answers to some off this questions it would be nice if they would reply here!:slight_smile:

1 Like

This issue probably cause because of the instaced stereo rendering and the Sky Atmosphere system Just not implemented this feature yet.

I’m looking for ways to use Sky Atmosphere in VR. But couldn’t find a solution yet.

I believe Epic doesn’t want to spend resources on this topic since implementing such feature also requires a lot of creative optimizations for VR.

I hope they at least have a few personel on this topic or someone from the community looking into it as hobby project :sweat_smile: